• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it too early to hop on the nforce5 bandwagon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikep7779

Well, i was looking at the M2N-SLI Deluxe (asus). I would like the nforce 5xx chipset for its nice features, however i read that they seem to have LOTS of issues. Is it too soon to hop on and get one? Or should i just get a a8n32 and a opteron 165?

I don't think it's too early.. but the first generation of motherboards on a new socket are almost always refined sometime down the road. Socket 939 is a great example in and of itself.

A lot of people will tell you to jump on AM2. But IMHO, I can't see how anyone would be disappointed in a nice Opteron setup. I'm sold on Opterons, and the fact there are none for AM2 is what prompted me to go ahead and build s939.

The new nforce chipset looks really nice, thats one of the reasions i wanted to go am2.
Should i wait? or go for a nforce 570 board?

Last edited:
I personally would get a conroe system instead, AM2 isn't that much better then s939 and it isn't mature yet while conroe mobo are the same used on netburst chips now. Also there will be AM2 opterons soon, I'm guessing as soon as the new server/workstation socket is out.

I didn't think there were going to be any AM2 Opterons? The next line of Opterons will be Socket F.

The reason why there are s939 opterons are to make workstations with just one processor cheaper because you don't need registered ram, so it will be the same with the new socket after all athlon 64 were socket 939 and opterons were s940 until the 100 series moved over to s939. Also read there would be socket am2 cpus.

So if i was to wait for the conroe, will the same 340$ cip proform better? Or will they be more costly?

Will the conroe chip set be as solid as the 939 chipsets are?

Conroe chipset are already available, some but not all 975 and I think 945 chipset will support conroe, here are a couple of conroe mobo. Price wise the msrp should be lower then a comparable amd chip but due to the fact that Intel doens't want to make a lot of them just yet their should be a premium for these chips because demand is going to be higher then supply. So right now I can't promise anything when it comes to price, but it won't hurt to wait until the end of the month when these will be released, and even if you wait AMD might drop the price even more.

If you guys wait for a week or so, I should have the components for an AM2 rig I'm building for my uni. Knowing ASUS, their initial BIOS quality sucks. Otherwise, you have a solid all round product.

I'm also waiting for conreo, but i feel that amd will come back very strong with their 65nm chips, that are due for release end of the year. i think once things settle down, both amd & intel will prolly be even.

but thats off topic, i would wait a while and buy a really solid 5xx board, i heard dfi are watching to see what the problems are before launching their board.

shadin said:
I didn't think there were going to be any AM2 Opterons? The next line of Opterons will be Socket F.

The inquirer has said that there will be 1XXX series opterons on AM2, though I havent seen any official confirmation.

dem0lish3r said:
I'm also waiting for conreo, but i feel that amd will come back very strong with their 65nm chips, that are due for release end of the year. i think once things settle down, both amd & intel will prolly be even.

but thats off topic, i would wait a while and buy a really solid 5xx board, i heard dfi are watching to see what the problems are before launching their board.
I wouldn't put too much hope on 65nm chips, yeah it will decrease the performance gap but AMD is doing to K8 what Intel did to netburst, push it to it's limits.

IMHO the 65nm K8s are for two reasons, the lesser one is that they are a stopgap to sqeeze out a slightly faster, lower power design. The main one is so they aren't transitioning to a new design and a new process at the same time (intel had all kinds of problems with Northwood -> Presscot but not with Presscot -> Cedar Mill, and Newcastle -> Winchester went fine for AMD). If there is sensible rather than desparate) reasoning behind the decision, then they probably think the extra time in doing it this way is worth paying for not having endless bugs to iron out, and lots of bad press.

As I always advise, wait a revision or to after a new platform/tech change. Let some of the bugs get worked out before you sink your cash into a headache.

Back