• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra X-Finity...Any Good? Worth $10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

The PSU buyer's guide says to avoid Ultra products, except for the X-Finity, but Skou and others say to avoid ALL Ultra products like the plauge. However, $10 for a 500W PSU (see Cyber Deals) isn't bad, isn't it? I mean, its SLI certified, so its gotta be good for something, right? And its probably better than the 500W Aspire PSU I have now (which the PSU buyer's guide says to avoid entirely). What if I take out my generic 300W slave PSU and replace it with an X-Finity? Between the Aspire and the X-finity, should I be OK? Alternatively, I could give it to my brother, who has a 6800NU that's straining his system's miniscule PSU.

Thoughts?

The X-Finity is much better than any Aspire - while I'm no fan of Ultra, for $10 I might be tempted to grab it.

infinitevalence said:
its one of the best Ultra PSUs to date, but i would not run a rig you value on it.
The thing is, I'm already running my main rig (see sig) on an Aspire PSU..my question is would I be better off using the Ultra over the Aspire? Plus with two PSUs, it shouldn't be TOO bad, should it? My system is nowhere near as power-hungry as the test systems in the link you posted, plus I have two PSUs... :shrug:

Back