• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.0 Xeons not running at 2.8...what gives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wing

Howdy-

Got 2 servers here, both have 3.0Ghz dual Xeons as depicted in the screenshots below. Both say they run at 200/800 with the same multiplier and run 2.8 in CPUZ, however one reports 3.0ghz in computer properties as it should and the other reports 2.8. If they are identical (as they are) any ideas why this is??

I also notice in the second one it reports 3.5GB of ram in the system properties when it has 4GB (as it lists on the memory tab of CPUZ)

Thanks!

xeonhal.jpg

xeonnitrous.jpg

Last edited:
It is dropping to a 14X multi. I suggest you go into the bios and make sure both are set to 15x multi. It might also be C1E? I know it isn't EIST (speed step) because that brings the multi to 12X.

As for the ram, I'm not sure.

What do you mean C1E?

Even the one that is showing up as 14x is registering as 3.0 in the system properties. I will go in the bios and see if there is a manual setting for the multi, but i figured it was locked, is it not?

Just checked in the bios and the muliplier was set to 14 and would not let me change it, see screen shots

xeoncpuscreen.jpg

xeonmainscreen.jpg

What does that mean? My question was why do they show up as 3ghz on one server and only 2.8 on the other if they are identical processors?

Tserrof said:
Those are 90nm Xeons which will drop the multi down to only 14.. not 12.

Thank you, I was under the impression they fell to 12X.

Ok from the pictures of the Bios It seem to change the muti you must change the "Ratio CMOS Setting" from 14 to 15.

I don't honestly know wh the oen shows up as 2.8GHz instead of 3.0GHz under system properties. My only guess is that it is becuase the multi is at 14, but then again that would make no sense to me. So I don't really know.

Try changing the "Ratio CMOS Setting" and see what that does.

Back