• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 2.8e underwhelming oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Centercore

Hi

I have a P4 2.8e Prescott processor which doesnt want to overclock to 3.5 ghz or anything above 3.4ghz stable. My max oc is about 3.4ghz prime 95 stable but thats needs 1.5 volts :eek:.
I have some g.skill ram so thats not my problem and i've tried many tweaks such as ultra turbo (mat) performance mode but stabilty at 250 fsb is a no go.

My cooling is a sythe ninja and my bios is 3.A.

Any ideas as to whats is limiting my oc?

Maybe my generic psu with +12v = 18A?

Check the stepping, alot of older 2.8E were bad overclockers.
However it is all possible you have got a dud, there are worse out there.

microfire said:
Check the stepping, alot of older 2.8E were bad overclockers.
However it is all possible you have got a dud, there are worse out there.

Its a C0 stepping.

RangerXLT8 said:
My 2.8E did 3.6GHz max and 3.46GHz stable.

Ahh same here

Monty_Python said:
make sure to lock the regular pci bus to 33.3

Yeah thats done.

What kind of stability are we talking about here (POST, Windows, P95)? What happens when it crashes? What are temperatures? What are the voltages under load (especially 12V)?

It could be a motherboard thing too, 3.5GHz would be 250MHz and 865s don't OC as well as 875s. Does it have decent cooling for the chipset, those northbridges can get hot.

MadMan007 said:
What kind of stability are we talking about here (POST, Windows, P95)? What happens when it crashes? What are temperatures? What are the voltages under load (especially 12V)?

It could be a motherboard thing too, 3.5GHz would be 250MHz and 865s don't OC as well as 875s. Does it have decent cooling for the chipset, those northbridges can get hot.

Well my +12v readout in speedfan says its 12.44 idle and 12.22,12.34 underload.

My northbridge may very well be my problem as I do not additionally cool it as I thought the stock heatsink was adequate.

Under 250 and 260fsb I get into windows and when I try run a prime95 torture test I receive a error with seconds.

You sure it´s a C0? If so you should be glad with your overclock. My 3.2E C0 only did around 3.6 (temps and power both were main issues back then). I actually believe there´s no stable (old-)prescott overclocking with less 25 amps on 12V-rail. I do remember well when that pressie of mine sucked my old bequiet (22 amps) to death...

As for northbridge cooling: I don´t think that should be of any problem. These old 865/875 chipsets were really hard to fail due to temps. I still run my IC7Max3´s northbridge with Thermalright Nb1c without any fan at 250 mhz.

Geist said:
You sure it´s a C0? If so you should be glad with your overclock. My 3.2E C0 only did around 3.6 (temps and power both were main issues back then). I actually believe there´s no stable (old-)prescott overclocking with less 25 amps on 12V-rail. I do remember well when that pressie of mine sucked my old bequiet (22 amps) to death...

As for northbridge cooling: I don´t think that should be of any problem. These old 865/875 chipsets were really hard to fail due to temps. I still run my IC7Max3´s northbridge with Thermalright Nb1c without any fan at 250 mhz.

Ahh ok thanks.

well i had a 3.0c that maxed out at 3.6ghz with 1.55v on watercooling. was a northwood not a preshot. since the power regulation on the later sk478 boards was barely getting the job done for presshots. Presshots really shine with the better power regulation on the lga mobo's.

Back