• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passing Stability help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phaser

Hello,

New here. I have a general knowledge of computers systems and starter treading into overclocking as a means to gain some performance from my dated machine. It's been a week since I have been contemplating and researching the nature of OCing and what it could do (good and/or bad) to the system and am aware of the results and consequences. I am also aware of the importance of stress testing once said action is completed after the tweaks have been done to confirm a stable OC.

Now, my question to you is that I have managed to get my system to boot normally and all after the tweaks I have done, however I can't seem to pass in stability using IBT at very high setting (as a start towards using Prime95 for hours of stress testing to finally confirm stability). What settings do I use or am I messing some details?

My system:

CPU: AMD - FX-8320 3.5 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600

GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6 GB

PSU: EVGA - 650W 80+ Gold B2

Fan: CM Hyper evo 212

I'm currently at 4.0 ghz @ ~1.4V temperature 51 C. AMP off, Turbo boosting off. I didn't Mess with anything else other than the multiplier and Voltage.

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Links to my screenshots:

BIOS1

BIOS2

BIOS3

Stress/stats

What does "can't seem to pass in stability using IBT at very high setting" actually mean? Are you getting a BSOD? Computer hangs? What type of error? How long does it run? What are CPU temps right before it fails?

I suspect that the main issue here is the weak power phase component ("VRM") of your low end motherboard. The 8 core FX CPUs draw huge amounts of power and when overclocked and need a high end motherboard to get much done in the way of overclocking. You really need a board that has at least a 6+1 power phase count in order to get even a moderate overclcok of an FX 8 core. That said, your current overclock may prove to be stable in everyday use. Putting heatsinks and a fan on your VRM may also help.

What does "can't seem to pass in stability using IBT at very high setting" actually mean? Are you getting a BSOD? Computer hangs? What type of error? How long does it run? What are CPU temps right before it fails?

Thanks for the quick reply! It would not pass at the end of the stress test (10 passes at 'very high ' setting). No BSOD, Computer runs mint. As you saw from my pictures, I adjusted the voltages bit by bit until I reached the red values but I didn't dare to go there however. At the end of the stress test on IBT, it shows the Linpack error like the one in this link.

I suspect that the main issue here is the weak power phase component ("VRM") of your low end motherboard. The 8 core FX CPUs draw huge amounts of power and when overclocked and need a high end motherboard to get much done in the way of overclocking. You really need a board that has at least a 6+1 power phase count in order to get even a moderate overclcok of an FX 8 core. That said, your current overclock may prove to be stable in everyday use. Putting heatsinks and a fan on your VRM may also help.

Thank you for the quick reply! Ok. This gives me confidence that my system is safe even under these settings. I'll consider the options you've mentioned. Thanks again.

Using four sticks of RAM may also be creating additional stress on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller). It might help to give the CPU/NB component in bios a tad of voltage bump. Try 1.225. If that doesn't help, return that component to stock voltage.

I feel if you have any chance of getting the Fx 8xxx stable "on that board" doing as Trents mentioned, putting fans on the Vrm section of the board may give you a shot. The Fx 8xxx chips need a lot of stable power when overclocked. When a board doesn't have a strong enough power section, it will overheat, causing instability. I will also let you know I speak through a lot of experience with an Fx 8350 and a 6300 have both and have overclocked both on top tier boards and mid tier. Even on the top boards the Vrm section needs cooling when really pushing these chips. On all 8 cores you are likely already drawing near 175 w with that chip.

Using four sticks of RAM may also be creating additional stress on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller). It might help to give the CPU/NB component in bios a tad of voltage bump. Try 1.225. If that doesn't help, return that component to stock voltage.

Ok, perfect. I'll give that a shot. If that fails, then I'll just reset the CMOS and try a different board like you've mentioned. Thanks again for the help!

I feel if you have any chance of getting the Fx 8xxx stable "on that board" doing as Trents mentioned, putting fans on the Vrm section of the board may give you a shot. The Fx 8xxx chips need a lot of stable power when overclocked. When a board doesn't have a strong enough power section, it will overheat, causing instability. I will also let you know I speak through a lot of experience with an Fx 8350 and a 6300 have both and have overclocked both on top tier boards and mid tier. Even on the top boards the Vrm section needs cooling when really pushing these chips. On all 8 cores you are likely already drawing near 175 w with that chip.

Jeez, I can't risk running my board if my CPU draws that much power with my OC! Thanks for the mentorship advice. My board's TDP is at
125W! Sounds like I'll just have to pick up a new board if all else fails. Thanks again, sir!

These FX8XXX will draw 220W+ when really stepped on now @ 4GHZ you are not going to pull that but Gigabyte even in their top end boards never had a very good showing when it came to overclocking the FX line. I can't remember off the top of my head if there were any mATX boards suitable for an FX8XXX chip.

Phaser, see if you can find a good used 990FX motherboard. But they aren't cheap and may not be worth putting out that much when the same amount could be put to newer tech.

Jeez, I can't risk running my board if my CPU draws that much power with my OC! Thanks for the mentorship advice. My board's TDP is at
125W! Sounds like I'll just have to pick up a new board if all else fails. Thanks again, sir!

Just keep an eye on temps, monitor the socket temp and cpu temp under load. Get fans on the Vrm section and feel them from time to time. If you can keep the Vrm section at reasonable temps you should be fine. Though, if you try and push too far the board may give up the ghost and take other components with it. I have had 2 boards blow on me trying to overclock on them. It is not a particularly nice sound to hear a pop and then smell smoke coming from your pc. I was lucky nothing else failed but the board, I've seen worse. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I just do not want see someone to blow up what they spend good money on. As long as you know the risks and precautions you need to take if you want to push on that board.

Just keep an eye on temps, monitor the socket temp and cpu temp under load. Get fans on the Vrm section and feel them from time to time. If you can keep the Vrm section at reasonable temps you should be fine. Though, if you try and push too far the board may give up the ghost and take other components with it. I have had 2 boards blow on me trying to overclock on them. It is not a particularly nice sound to hear a pop and then smell smoke coming from your pc. I was lucky nothing else failed but the board, I've seen worse. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I just do not want see someone to blow up what they spend good money on. As long as you know the risks and precautions you need to take if you want to push on that board.

I'm definitely going to look into better cooling for that area of the mobo and am also considering just switching it as well. My budget is tight
but changing the board and adding better cooling will definitely help things out! Thanks again!

Phaser, see if you can find a good used 990FX motherboard. But they aren't cheap and may not be worth putting out that much when the same amount could be put to newer tech.

Highly considering it! From what I gathered form you guys, unless I switch up my rig completely, I can go for a motherboard and RAM. Currently checking out the ASRock - 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+. Hope to get one used or the like!

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for guiding me through this!

Does the IMC really see more stress when running 4 sticks instead of two? I've heard of this happening with the Core 2 quad but didn't think it would carry over to a later 32nm process CPU such as the FX. Just curious.

Be careful when looking at used boards on ebay. Make sure they say it comes with the I/O shield. Many or most used ones don't.

This looks like a good buy to me and would likely be way a little better than what you have now for overclocking but still not great: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-Fat...=item2f2b7c3155:g:mRgAAOSwdOlcX7pg:rk:17:pf:0

But honestly, you'd spend less money and get as much or more performance from keeping your present board and upgrading to an FX 8350 than trying to purchase a good overclocking board. NewEgg had the FX-8350 for like $59.95 a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
This looks like a good buy to me and would likely be way a little better than what you have now for overclocking but still not great: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-Fat...=item2f2b7c3155:g:mRgAAOSwdOlcX7pg:rk:17:pf:0

But honestly, you'd spend less money and get as much or more performance from keeping your present board and upgrading to an FX 8350 than trying to purchase a good overclocking board. NewEgg had the FX-8350 for like $59.95 a couple of days ago.

Oh, I see. I didn't think that this would also be an option! In that case, I'll keep an eye out!

That was my other question. Will your case accept an ATX board or is it limited to mATX?

Back