• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a keyboard!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just1nCase

Hello,

I am planning to get a new keyboard for my desktop PC computer and I need your input. Right now, I am using an old typical Compaq keyboard with an ordinary Microsoft optical Scroll-wheel mouse. From the looks of it, I believe it's about time for me to upgrade my input devices.

So far, I am leaning towards a "Logitech Cordless DesktopS 510." I enjoy the slim design and placement of the short-cut keys on the side of the keyboard (instead of the top), which is very convenient since the keyboard is placed on a keyboard tray. When I was testing out the Logitech keyboard out at the store, the keys were slightly stiff, which isn't a big problem since I have been using an old Compaq keyboard that has very stiff keys. However, the keyboard isn't ergonomic. I am currently a student at college and I spend most of my time on the computer so, should I get a keyboard that is more ergonomic?

What's your opinion on my situation? Is there any other keyboards with short-cuts on the side of the keyboard? Is there any keyboard guides that I can take a look at? Please let me know.

Thanks for the fast response.

If you like slim & compact keyboards you may want to check out that Coolermaster Keyboard -> http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=uk&Language_s=15&url_place=product&p_ serial=EAK-US1&other_title=0 . I never needed any additional media keys and since this keyboard is really good quality I never regret having bought it.

The design of the keyboard is a bit too slim & compact for me. I might as well get the keyboard I am planning to get. It reminds me too much of a laptop computer keyboard.. but thanks for the reply... I appreciate it.

Logitech G15? comes with a sweet *** LCD screen on the top

Or these media keyboards are quite nice. My dad and brother have them, and theyre nice to use

I found one of those proper ergonomic ones, I'll try and find it for you

EDIT: Here

Logitech G15 is out of my price range and LCD screen won't be seen once I slide my keyboard back underneath my table's keyboard tray. I tried the Microsoft's Ergonomic keyboard and I found out that the keys were very soft for my perference. Is having soft keys any good?

I think you can get away with a non-natural kb if the key switches are smooth and don't requre excessive force, and flex/rotate your wrists every now and then.

Also, that's really a big issue for secretaries and other people who spend a lot of time every day typing on keyboards for long periods at a time, but unless you're typing up a thesis and averaging a page every five minutes or so, you shouldn't really have a problem. Maybe a gel pad to rest your wrists on, those are quite nice and alleviate some of the unnatural wrist flexion.

"Saitek" puts out some nice keyboards...kinda sleek....I like the soft quite keys...plus they sell led key boards that were the leds arn't overpowering at all.

Just my 2cents.

I've two my first had a full glass of coke and 101proof wild turkey spilled on it:beer: :bang head . SO i'm on me second Ilove 'em

If I had money to burn I'd go for something like this, black board with "metallic gray" keys, buckling spring (clicky) switches if you want it (very comfortable to type on, IMO anyway), usb or ps/2 connector. But since you can get an IBM Model M for $20 (shipped) if you look hard enough, only reasons for me to pay $70 are: pretty black and grey, usb connector, Windows keys. Keyswitches (they say) are identical to the IBM, and that's the main thing for me, I can live without the Windows key -- linux, baby! :attn:

I've brought the Logitech Desktop S 510 Keyboard and I was extremely disappointed. The reasons were the following:

- The tilt of the keyboard was too low
- The cursor keys were too close together with the letter keys
- Placement of keys were awkward.
- Mouse felt uncomfortable due to it's awkward shape.

So, I ended up returning it. To be honest with you, I enjoy using my old Compaq keyboard compared to the new keyboard I've just returned. Now, I am looking for a new keyboard. So far, I have my eyes on Microsoft Natural 4000 Ergo Keyboard, Logitech Premium Desktop (which I can get from my cousin since she is not using it), and Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000 Comfort Edition.

The Microsoft Natural 4000 Ergo Keyboard felt nice and was easy on the fingers, but I had a hard time pressing the "Space" bar since it was shaped differently for ergonomic use. As for the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000, it felt good and sort of have the same feel of my old Compaq keyboard that I am using right now. However, I keep seeing mixed reviews of this keyboard based on battery issues, cordless interference, and so on. What do you think I should do? Should I go with Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard and hopefully, Ill get use to the "space" bar or the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop and hopefully, it will work out with no worry? Or, should I ask my cousin for her Logitech Premium Desktop Keyboard?

Please let me know. Any input is appreciated. Thanks. For your information, I am going to be using keyboard mostly for creative work than gaming.

Yea, I might just go with the free Logitech combo from my cousin. So, if I don't like it, I can always return it without any hassle. From the looks of it, it had some high rated reviews at Amazon.com so hopefully, it satisfies my expectations.

The whole reason I am looking for a new keyboard is because it is going to be used as a belated birthday gift from my bro. But if I can't find any good keyboards, I can always ask for something else.

I use a Saitek keyboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823175103
Newegg sells them. It lights up, you can turn off the lights if you'd like. The best part is it is big, and comfortable. Each key feels really soft, especially compared to an older keyboard. As for a mouse while it may not be practical i use a Razer Diamoundback.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826153104
It's soft, lights up and has good sensitivity. It's really a gamer's setup, but i game alot so i went for things comfortable and appealing to the eyes. If you havent heard of Woot.com, start checking it out, they sell alot of mouse and keyboard bundles for cheap.

Back