• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth the Wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deftones1088

Registered
Argh.. so the DVI port on my viewsonic (VX2025) LCD just died and I have no other choice but to use the VGA, and I doubled checked using another monitor just to make sure it wasnt avideocard problem(x1900 aiw) which worked fine. The viewsonic is still under warrenty and i figure it would take a good two weeks to finalize the rma from newegg. Which brings me to my question. Is it worth waiting a few weeks just to replace the dvi? I mean the VGA imagine quality looks great so far

Don't listen to all the elitists out there. If VGA looks fine to you then use it. Play a few games and see if you can notice any image noise. Also, on this forum look closely on the lines and white text and see if you can see haloing. Otherwise you're fine.

I would just keep it as is if it works for you. Also shipping the monitor back to newegg will be a killer. If a dvi port is worth 2-3 weeks of waiting plus about 30 bucks for shipping then go ahead and replace it, just not worth it IMO.

I would ship one of my LCD's back if the DVI port burned out. Shippin isn't ultra expensive and might even be covered by viewsonic (check with viewsonic as well as newegg and see what the policy is).

If you ever go to sell it, no one would really want it...that and if something died with your LCD...it's likely something else will die.

Sadly i dont have an extra monitor sitting around i could use. I guess shipping wouldnt be over $20. Plus newegg would ship it back at no extra cost. I juts dont like the fact ill be without a computer till i recieve the monitor back. How much better can DVI really be?

Last edited:
Ship it back. Odds are more things will break. DVI is a much cleaner interface, less prone to interference, and helps to remove the graphics card out of the equation when it comes to image quality (I expect I'll get blasted for that one....let's not, shall we?).

Look at it as an opportunity to possibly pick up a new screen, in the event they just replace the model instead of trying to fix it or give you a refurb.

Well, are you happy with the vga picture?

I can see the difference, but that's on my 1920 x 1200 screen. Might be a different scenario for you.

I have 1 dead pixel on my viewsoinic monitor and am getting a new one for free--not even shipping. I do not even have to be without a monitor. they ship me the new one and then I can ship the original one back. all viewsonic requrires is a credit card number for collatoral. call viewsonic, it will be worth it.

Yeah, it turns out going through viewsonic is the only way, newegg apparently doesnt cover the monitors warrenty. Jamesgig do you know if viewsonic does refunds? Im a little skeptical rma'ing my monitor. It seems like the chances of receiving a non defective vx2025 are slim. Ive read several comments from newegg of the vx2025's having multiple dvi and dead pixel problems even after 3-4 rma's. Maybe if viewsonic allows full refunds I should go with another 20' widescreen brand?

Im running my resolutions at 1680x1250 and things look great. I dont see any haloing or fuzziness in picture quality. Of course i dont have a DVI monitor to do side by side comparisons, I cant image imagine quality looking any sharper.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
id say rma it - i personally couldnt live with a partly defective product.
and as people say - chances are something more might break.

I doubt they will refund your money, but you can try - I'd say RMA it once then demand a refund if its defective again - and take it up with your card issuer if they give you any problems!

Axion said:
id say rma it - i personally couldnt live with a partly defective product.
and as people say - chances are something more might break.

I doubt they will refund your money, but you can try - I'd say RMA it once then demand a refund if its defective again - and take it up with your card issuer if they give you any problems!

/agree 100 percent

Back