• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VNC problems? Why does my remote connection look like this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

I just started messing around with VNC using tightvnc, and I was disappointed to see that the remote connection window looks like the attached image. (I am using the TightVNC Windows client to connect to my Ubuntu machine running the TightVNC server.) Compared to Windows Remote Desktop, this is disappointing. Where are my menu bars, icons, etc.? Is this not supported over VNC, do I need a different server/client, or what?

tightvnc.jpg

Also, I am very confused about tunneling VNC through SSH. First of all, is there any point to making the connection secure if I'm only using this on my small home network? I don't really plan to connect externally over the internet.

Oops I forgot to update this thread. I was using "tightvncserver" to start the VNC server. I ended up using vnc4server instead with UltraVNC viewer on the Windows machine, and it works fine.

Back