• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BryanB

Registered
Hello everyone I see alot of you are having fun with your conroe setups. I was wondering on how difficult is it to assemble a computer yourself, I have never done it before though I have changed RAM, Video Cards and Hard Drives.

The main resaon I'd like to assemble myself is because my local stores are so random, one sells the CPU 50 $ cheaper but the other has cheaper PSU and Video Cards so if I bought the cheapest from both, itd all work out

Ive never ever taken out a mobo or put a CPU in. Do you think I should just pay the 30 or so bucks and get there warranty on it or is there a nice guide for ppl like me :)

Thanks, Bryan :beer:

Hmmm, have you ever like installed upgrade parts into a pc? If it would only cost 30.00 to have it built then have a professional do it.

Everyone has a first time. I would say its totally simple and anyone with any PC savy could do it. But odd things almost always pop up. And troubleshooting is where experience and knowing what your doing really comes in handy.

Buying a case, sticking a board in, etc etc its mostly plug and play using the MB manual as a guide. Some things to watch out for:

Static charge, so always try and work some place like a wooden table or work bench. Touch the metal side of the case before you handle anything. Keep your parts laying on anti-static bags when their laying out. Try not to rub on the connectors. Line up the MB mounting screws right, the first time, and remember to put the back IO plate in before you screw it down... god I always forget that one. A badly mounted MB is a PITA to figure out and fix.

Most important thing, have another PC with net nearby so you can research any problems you run into!

Ahh ty for the tips. and the 30 dollars is just estimate its probably more, i just think i can save a few hundred! if i buy and assemble myself :)

more tips are welcome and GREATLY appriciated

Edit : yes i have installed upgrade parts, but i'm more worried about wrongly mounting the mobo, and or the CPU

My advice is to follow the motherboard installation in the manual to the letter. One thing to remember is don't force anything. That usually means you'll break something. If I can do it, you can do it.

Go for it. Its not hard to do and everyone has to start somewhere. I say download the installation instructions for the board you think you're going to get and read them over and post any questions here. It may take you a few hours the first time you build one, but before you know it they'll be second nature.

Hey ty to the new comments :)

Great idea to get instructions online for board i'll buy, but it might be a while so good chance I'll find a better board with different instructions lol.

well ty again :beer:

Simple things threw me off the first time.

-The ide cables have a black strip and that goes next to the power cable. That way you know the ide cable is right. Most ide cables have a nug these days so this could just be knowledge in the back of your head.
-Memory, make sure it is in the slot right and press on the ends down, firmly but steady. This is the one area where some force is needed to get the chips in, but use the clips on the end to help and don't muscle it too much.
-Make sure you put all the pins in to support the motherboard, double check it so it is right.
-Be extremely careful with the cpu and putting it in. It is easy to bend a pin if you aren't extremely careful.
-If you don't know yet, you hit a button to enter the bios at startup. Read the manual to figure out how to set it up.

It is pretty hard to "blow up" your computer. Really the only thing that is easy to mess up would be a cpu pin. If you put settings wrong in the bios, most of the time it just won't boot. It is really easy to build a computer, just take your time and don't rush it. Double check simple things, so you don't have to remove things that came before it.

Install order is normally like this
-motherboard
-cpu
-heatsink
-memory
-cards
-sata or ide cables
-fans
Just connect the power lines as you go with the components.

Back