• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't see second Dvd drive in bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaws104

Registered
Brand new rig + first build 4 me but problem with config DVD drives

It's on Asus p5w DH

I have a DVD burner and DVD player but bios only sees one drive. I tried changing jumpers but to no avail.:cry:

No O/S installed yet.

They're both Asus drives, the DVD-RW has 5 jumper settings.

I've tried "cable select" but don't really get it, or it isn't working 4 me - both drives are on same cable going to IDE port

What am I doing wrong:bang head

EDIT - I also tried the drive that isn't being detected by itself + it still wasn't detected!!WTF

I would try changing one to another connector. Or swap them around. Also are they both turning on atleast? I know it's not the best question but the power cable could be at fault.

Check settings in BIOS. For example my Abit BH6 motherboard BIOS does not auto detect drives with default settings. I set the autodetection option manually in BIOS for each position of my IDE channels.

Also try setting one drive to Master and other to Slave if nesessary (some drives would conflict otherwise).

Be sure everything related is plugged in.

Ascii2 said:
What drives? (Answer should really be in intial post to this thread)

Asus DVD-E616P1 DVD-ROM

Asus DRW-1608P3S 16x16 DVD±RW (This is the one it sees)

They both power on, though the molex at the back of the DVD-ROM isn't a good fit.

will have another go tonight & try few suggestions. Couldn't think straight after spending an hour doing cable management on this damn P180.

Is it okay to run 2 Cd-drives and 2 case fans off same power lead? (Enermax Liberty) Think I read somewhere there's only so many connections recommended per lead

On a brighter note my CPU temp reads 22.5 & mobo 32 (idle from bios) so at least somethings working nicely:)

Well turns out DVD is dead

Tried with diff power supply, won't power up

The power connection at the back is faulty

Got RMA no. so no big deal

Okay one month later, one new drive + still can't see it.

This one definately has power though as I can open/close tray etc.

Strangely I was burning an iso with my DVD-RW (from hard-drive) the other day and when it finished & NERO ejected, both drives opened?????

I still think the jumper settings are all messed up + I can't find the correct position for them

Back