• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a disk read error ocurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Treker

Old School Senior
A little history, this drive is sound passes stress test, I've tried chkdsk , fixboot, fixmbr, I've tried re-installing windows..

I can access this hd if I piggy back it on another computer, and on this computer ( old server ) if I use an erd from one of my repair programs.

Nothing can find anything wrong with the hd, or it's files!

If I load this hd in another computer it will boot from the hd ( but still get bsod at windows splash ) I thought that putting the HD back in the original computer ( after replacing the mobo with same type ) would fix this problem, but I"m still stumped?!

Make sure the HDD isn't jumpered as Cable Select, but rather either Master or Slave depending on its' position, Also make sure the drive isn't sharing an IDE connector with a CD / DVD.

hurm, that might be it - I had it set as single/master but then nothing booted at all, it did'nt even try to boot, just stuck at 'updating dmi, sucdess.. ' and thats it.. so I set it to cable select and then I started to get the error!

I have another cable, will try it, I always get ( non 80 pin cable ) error with anything else.

tried everything, still same results! Bah!

Tried different cables, jumper settings, primary/secondary.. have not tried booting as slave yet though.. just for kicks I"ll give it a shot.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I'm having this same problem with my new PC. Did anyone come to any conclusions with this?

Thanks

If it's a Western Digital drive, DO NOT use ANY jumpers at all. WD likes to be weird. No jumpers makes it a Master/Single. Try reinstalling again without jumpers if it is a WD drive.

Make sure that it is in the Master (end of the cable, usually colored black) position, too.

Thanks but both my drives are Hitachi. :( It was working before with the cables in this position and i haven't changed them so I don't think it's that. : (

Make sure you're running the latest BIOS, and manually set your HDD(s) to LBA instead of Auto... normally an option under LBA / Large Mode (or something similar).

Back