• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cable modem crashes on load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

Up here in maine everyone I know has iether cable or dsl.
DSL has its own slew of problems, mostly caused by the verizon network they go to.

The cable, however, is almost ALL time warner cable / road runner internet.

Having unlimited access to two of these road runner lines i've come across a strange phenomenon- keep it at full load (bit torrent, usually) it will crash. Right now i'm at the second of these two connections, the first was left downloading a few torrents and it's gone and crashed.
Since we also run the phones thru the modem, this is a big problem. I cannot call home or message anyone there as to how to reset the modem, or that it is even down...

The same exact thing happens here, it was a huge issue last year when i did most of my downloads here, as i diddnt have cable there, it was dsl and far too slow.

Has anyone else experianced something like this? Could it be a heat issue? Resetting the modem (hard reset by unplugging, the switch only puts it in standby and solves nothing) fixes it... but thats no good.

If its heat I could crack mine open and put a better heatsink in it, i suppose... but I dont want to risk breaking it unless i have to.
This HAS to stop.

By the way, calling the company wont do anything, we did that twice here and got two new modems, all three here have failed to impress me, and now the one at my place is quite pathetic as well.

its usually the router not the modem that crashes.

home routers cannot handle many conncurent connections. its quite a common problem.

use a smoothwall and your problems will go away, unless it is a sub par modem. (usually not the case)

I allready run a linux router. I'd post some pics (hosted on the same machine) but the modem is down ;)

Heat can be a problem but you may just have a funky modem. Can you swap modems and check it. Maybe it's a line issue on their side? Have you split the cable that comes to the modem? They are really sinsitive to line noise.

seadave77 said:
Heat can be a problem but you may just have a funky modem. Can you swap modems and check it. Maybe it's a line issue on their side? Have you split the cable that comes to the modem? They are really sinsitive to line noise.

Heat would be my first guess. Especially if the modem/router is just sitting on something and not getting enough airflow. I have a linksys router piggybacked to my linksys gateway and the router always over-heats. I am really thinking of adding active cooling to the router...:beer:

I used to run a Linksys Cable Modem, but recently threw it away. It was junk. If I so much as open 2-5 web pages at the same time, it would lock up. I replaced it with a new Motorola Surfboard modem, all is now well. I havent had to reset this one ever. What model/brand modem is it?

its got plenty of airflow, but i suppose it could be heat. Unfortunately I cant replace it without buying one of the overpriced motorola, and i'm kinda broke.

We had this one here replaced maybe three times by time warner, each time the 'tech' blamed the router (because it wouldnt crash without the router, because the traffic came thru the router... tard)

the one at home hasnt ever been replaced, but after three times over here with the same problem each time i'm not convinced its the modem, although its been the same model.
the one here is a WebSTAR DPX2203, i dont know whats at home. Different color, so probly a different model.
I'll have to see if its leased or whatnot, i've got a rediclous amount of heatsinks and some thermal epoxy.

Back