• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6300 and AsRock 775DUAL ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chinky714

Hey there i got a question, after my dad seeing how amazingly fast my E6400 setup is, he wants one. But, he doesn't want to spend too much because he only uses a few programs on his pc: Adobe Photoshop, CorelDraw 12, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat Professional. I plan to get him this set up:

CPU: E6300 Retail
Motherboard: AsRock 775Dual-VSTA
Ram: he already has 1GB of DDR2 533 2x512MB
Hard Drive: he has 2 200GB SATA hard drives already
Optical Drives: 1DVD-ROM, 1 DVD writer.
Floppy
Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Video card: X800XT AIW AGP

as you can see everything will be coming from his old rig. My question is will it be okay to use the DDR2 533 with the Allendale Core 2 Duo?

how much do you have to spend is the question. the dd2 533 will be fine but you will want to up the memory if running xp with that type of usage. at least 1gigx2 kit ddr2-667 will be a nice upgrade, the memory upgrade will help out alot.

Evilsizer said:
how much do you have to spend is the question. the dd2 533 will be fine but you will want to up the memory if running xp with that type of usage. at least 1gigx2 kit ddr2-667 will be a nice upgrade, the memory upgrade will help out alot.

yeah he plans to upgrade to 2GB but i just want to use the DDR2 533 now to test to see if all the components are running. I don't want to buy everything and leave it there for a couple weeks waiting on the new memory to come in just to put it all together to find out i have a dead motherboard. Frys has the cpu at $209.99 right now i think thats pretty decent for not having to wait and go through hassle of RMA. I think they also have the AsRock 775 Dual for around 65$ too.

as long as you have a p4/p-d floating around to update the bios just for the sake of it. DO IT, as you never know what version the board has. It could have been sitting there for god knows how long and they finally released a bios update that works with c2d. just my thoughts, it sounds like a good way to go atm. dont expect to oc that board though, i think the highest it got to ocing a c2d was 300mhz fsb.

Evilsizer said:
as long as you have a p4/p-d floating around to update the bios just for the sake of it. DO IT, as you never know what version the board has. It could have been sitting there for god knows how long and they finally released a bios update that works with c2d. just my thoughts, it sounds like a good way to go atm. dont expect to oc that board though, i think the highest it got to ocing a c2d was 300mhz fsb.

oh its just for my dad, he just needs it to be faster than his current Pentium D. Its an 820. Not all the AsRock 775Dual-VSTA works with C2D?

chinky714 said:
oh its just for my dad, he just needs it to be faster than his current Pentium D. Its an 820. Not all the AsRock 775Dual-VSTA works with C2D?
they are c2d ready but a micro-code that is in the bios needs to be there to correctly see the c2d. if the board is old it may not boot with the c2d in there. as i said to have a p4/pd for just in case that happens.

Evilsizer said:
they are c2d ready but a micro-code that is in the bios needs to be there to correctly see the c2d. if the board is old it may not boot with the c2d in there. as i said to have a p4/pd for just in case that happens.

k cool, hey Evilsizer, i see in your sig you have the C4 Corsairs. Do you think they hit better clocks than the OCZ Platinums? My dad was looking at the C4's but if they get higher clocks than my OCZ Platinum 6400's i'll give him mine and take the C4's :D

chinky714 said:
k cool, hey Evilsizer, i see in your sig you have the C4 Corsairs. Do you think they hit better clocks than the OCZ Platinums? My dad was looking at the C4's but if they get higher clocks than my OCZ Platinum 6400's i'll give him mine and take the C4's :D
dunno how they clock yet the bios is to early for the ab9 to be able to push them. if they are rated the same then i would expect the to clock about the same. if you are looking for better clocking ram you might want to go to www.xtremesystems.org and check out the xtremebandwidth section. keep in mind though that some of the guys have modded the board to allow for higher ddr2 voltage. one guy was runing 2.9v into a set of his D9's.

Back