• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

N00b's Guide to Conroe Based Performance Computing and OC Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ASUS 975X offerings seem to be more successful than the Intel 975XBX "Badaxe" at this point. I've not heard much about the DFI board from people who bought them off of a retail store. The DFI Infinity is way way overpriced for a "budget" board.

I have ordered an ASUS 975X Deluxe myself.

I plan on waiting for a few months to see what other mobo offerings there'll be, hopefully most will be fine with a BIOS upgrade, but I have a feeling my ECS C19-A SLI won't make it :( . Ah well, I guess I'll just have to buy a real motherboard next time.... :D

Updated, 14 July 2006.

Updates reflect:-

-XE Availability
-New MB availability
-Better organization
-New recommended PSU's.

Banned by request if you check his profile...dunno why his sig isn't showing. His rank shouldn't be "banned", a mod should change that soon.

Add this board to the list:

abit AB9 Pro

There is a pro and non pro. Difference is RAID and number of SATA. Pro can support only 9 SATA devices (all SATA2). 965 chipset.

I know some people are going to poop on abit. I have used them (on and off - mainly depending on what chipset I am looking for) for over 7 years. I have never had a problem with them, ESPECIALLY Intel chipsets.

Price is great too. Non pro *should* be around $150-ish. Pro is like $10 more (yeah which one do you get). ZipZoomFly has it for $189. Still not bad considering the features.

brywalker said:
Add this board to the list:

abit AB9 Pro

There is a pro and non pro. Difference is RAID and number of SATA. Pro can support only 9 SATA devices (all SATA2). 965 chipset.

I know some people are going to poop on abit. I have used them (on and off - mainly depending on what chipset I am looking for) for over 7 years. I have never had a problem with them, ESPECIALLY Intel chipsets.

Price is great too. Non pro *should* be around $150-ish. Pro is like $10 more (yeah which one do you get). ZipZoomFly has it for $189. Still not bad considering the features.
psst i got a ab9-pro from ewiz otw and it was $150+ shipping. will be here thrusday, now i just need a conroe cpu for testing.

Last edited:
I got mine from ewiz for $218 last week...much cheaper than Egg. Egg is really bothering me with their prices on new releases :rolleyes:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-965PDQ6

This is my 2nd order from ewiz inside the last month (first was the P5W DH). Service is excellent and they always seem to have the latest mobos before anyone else without raping people.

Ive been kind of currious why there has been very little talk of the ASUS P5B
Probably because the WiFi version is more expensive than the P5W?

The Gigabyte 965 boards seem to just kick azz with the Allendale cores (2M L2). I am thinking about maybe picking up an E6400 to try since my DQ6 is still here. I know one dude on VR Zone did 501FSB (3.5GHz) on a totally stock DQ6 with a retail E6300 on water @ 1.50Vc. Me thinks some of the lower C2Ds would have no problem hitting 4GHz too if it weren't for any FSB limitations.

I know I saw someone with a DS4 too, but now forget what he was running :)

Ross said:
Probably because the WiFi version is more expensive than the P5W?

I dont get that?
the P5B is the cheaper 965 board, why would someone want to pay extra for something like WiFi :beer:
I seriously wanted to see some FSB scores out of that bad boy :(

Ive seen what the gigabyte can do, but its bio's are a bit flakey still and I hear from a little birdy that mikey doesn't like it at ALL :eek: :bang head

btw Ross welcome back to top side (IE up out of 3d land lol)

LOL...I haven't really been there much either, just busy.

Why Wifi? One less cable? Beats me. I kinda agree with mike. The rebooting is just annoying as all hell and there is a problem with mem timings, but *when* it boots, it's the best clocking Conroe board I've used yet. I am contemplating digging it out of its box and giving it another shot. There's another beta BIOS floating around and supposedly things work even better (or should I say "properly") when EasyTune is NOT installed.

I hear the AB9 may be Abit's comeback product too. Evil needs to get a move on and let us know what's up.

LOL.. maybe some of us like to LAN with our network rather then just get on the internet :rolleyes:

Evil has already found out that the AB9 needs bio's work before booting it up. (I think he's on the trail of some elusive beta bio's ;) ) ahh heck he's bound to have them already :p

So.. Gigabyte and Abit MIGHT have decent products IF they can fix the bios.. I want to see some results!! WOOT!! :attn:

I am not sure on the P5B, but IIRC, the WiFi on the P5W can act as an AP. I haven't even looked into it, but that might make it worth it over the non-WiFi if it is on the P5B too. Personally, I never used the on-board WiFi on any mobo, whether AP or wireless card, for anything. I don't care what anyone says, direct connection is faster and less problematic.

I hear there are some pre-orders available for the MSI 975 board and that's one I've been really waiting to see results from in retail form.

Back