• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 4200+ X2 Idle 40c? Load 50c? Southbridge 40c?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hitbyaprkedcar7

Okay so i got the replacement mobo for my AM2 build for the family, so i put it all together, booted it up, installed all the drivers and MSI's Core Center utility and saw the IDLE temp at 40 degrees celcius!! I was like whoah, thats a hot chip. But then i got a load of the "sys" temp (which im assuming is the southbridge) and it was at 40 celcius as well! I knew it ran hot, so i stuck 16 aluminum ramsinks on it to help it out a bit... but its still scalding hot to the touch. I pointed a 100cfm fan at it and it dropped to 30.

But im more worried about the CPU temp, under load, at stock settings, stock volts, stock everything it loads out under dual prime at 50c. That was my pervious limit for A64 systems.

I applied AS5 to it as well, i havnt let it set in yet, is that the problem? I spread out a thin layer across the IHS with an old plastic gift card. Ill let it dual prime over night tonight to get it to burn in and set in the as5.

edit: this is with stock cooler btw, not the heatpipe version either.

Yes... do that. And don't "spread" out the AS5 this time. Just put a small rice grain sized dab (for lack of a better term) in the center of the IHS and then install your HSF. This will allow the pressure between the HSF & IHS to spread the AS5 for you.

In this manner you won't introduce air pockets into the TIM and the AS5 will spread itself where it is needed. The next time you remove your HSF you should find a circle of AS5 from the center to almost the very edges of your IHS. No need to cover the whole thing with TIM. The core is only in the center. ;)

When you remove the HSF next time, if you find the AS5 spread over the edge of the IHS... you used too much. :)

Instructions straight from Arctic Silver -> http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Nice job bud, I've been spreading that stuff with a plastic blade but not in the corners or edges. It dose still run over a little but not bad.

Yeah, i read a post by someone (might have been alabama, lol) about someone spreading it with a card over the IHS so i figured id try it out.

But, after it has settled in for a few days i now Idle (according to core temp, at 29 and 28c) according to the MSI program idle at 34c. Load out with core temp at 47 and 48 and MSI reads the same. So, im happy with those temps. Just had to let AS5 settle in. :)

Back