• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knightwolf6543

well just orderd a 7900 GS off ebay! i was going to wait for the next gen vid cards to come out but.. i think i will wait a bit longer :p
so the card should be here next week i will post bench marks as well,
i hope to get a secound one when i get the cash and after i get a new PSU lol, my psu is going to suffer now lol!

7900GS.jpg

i hope it will unlock but it probly wont :( well good luck on oc'ing it and unlocking it if god loves you :)

I doubt nVidia will repeat this mistake with the 7900GS, they learn their lesson from the 6800 series about unlocking. Even if you can unlock the 4 missing pipelines, there is still also the one missing vertex shader.

TRF-Inferno said:
I doubt nVidia will repeat this mistake with the 7900GS, they learn their lesson from the 6800 series about unlocking. Even if you can unlock the 4 missing pipelines, there is still also the one missing vertex shader.

I generally buy whatever card gives the best price performance recently I have been buying more cheaper ATi cards that can unlock, until this woot came along that is. IMO nVidia should offer more cards that have a chance of unlocking initially but then cannot be unlocked later, many people would still buy the newer locked version thinking they have a chance to unlock it so nVidia would get their money still.

Having unlockable cores is great for PR and leads many people to blindly go out and buy another video card. Then after the initial run is out they become laser locked but people still buy them anyways following the advice of those who did get it to unlock in the past, like lemmings off a cliff so to say. If I were nVidia I would have purposely supplied woot with unlockable cards, only the most devoted stay up for woot and on top of that only the most technically advanced tend to buy launch products. the PR increase, from people like that, hitting message boards saying look I got a card for $145 that unlocked to a $230+ 7900gt would be astounding, and many people would rush out to get a 7900gs even if it costs more and had no chance of unlocking. This is what nVidia and ATi want, they want to sell as many old cores as possible before launching new products with newer faster cores. Look at the x1950xtx. it is ready to go and cheap for the performance but launching it would kill x1900xt and x1900xtx sales so ATi has delayed it.

Also woot would sell out of 7900gs cards regardless of if they unlocked or not so nVidia has nothing to loose sales wise and everything to gain from this launch event if they supplied unlockable cards.

Also these are the 7900gs specs they are the smaller number while the number in () is the 7900gt

Fragment Pipelines: 20 (24)
Vertex Pipelines: 7 (8)
Texture Units: 20 (24)

edit: now that I think about it all of the last cards that I have bought recently have unlocked or been flashable* and I recommended them all of the time. ATi I think does the bait and switch better as only certain manufacturers make the good versions then people go out and buy the cheapest version of what they think is the same card.

*9800pro, 6800nu, 6800gs, x850pro, x800gto2

Last edited:
I'm not so sure ATi planned it in all those cases. The progression of the x850pro for example went bios flash - connect laser bridge - die locked. I think it's more often a matter of using produced chips to fill all market segments, it may be cheaper for them to have the fabs do a production run of one chip and those end up getting segmented plus they don't anticipate them being unlocked. The 6800gs is a good example of this imo.

I agree its just largely wishful thinking on my part and what I would do if I had any say at nVidia.

Usually the cards depend on when they were made and what batch of chips they get, but if nVidia wanted to they could easily control the flow of chips to do what they wanted for a relatively small batch of cards. Controling which chips are in these 2000 card could greatly influence nVidias sales in the short term and help sell off bined cores if they wanted to.

well i wont do any oc until i get some water cooling on it, just reg test is what i will do first, but i am looking for someone with a similar pc to test against, just have a 7900 gt, i got the card for $159 + shipping
i hope to get another one when i get the cash :D, a affordable card with performance close to the gtx i must say i am happy :D
card should be in next week Thursday, which is just in time for my 3 day lan party! i cant wait to see what this thing can do, all i can say for right now is, FINNALY I BEAT MY COUSINS COMPUTER HA AH I WIN I TOTALY PWN HA HA AHA HA AH!! ok i have had my moment :D

Back