• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E660 + P5B-D on stock air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
While I am waiting for my Vapochill Lightspeed to arrive on Wed. I am playing around with the stock heatsink and cooler.

So far I have been able to flawlessly clock my FSB up to 450 mhz X 6 multiplier. Yes, the P5B-Deluxe allows for downward multiplier unlocking with the correct updated bios.

My DDR2-800 Gskill's are handling 900 mhz, 4-4-4-10 no problem.

I am very happy so far. I didnt even get into cranking up the CPU yet. I will keep you guys posted. Currently shes at 2.7Ghz @ 1.3 volts and stock air cooling. 6 X 450

Screenie:
air2700.JPG

Last edited:
*UPDATE*
For those of you really wanting to buy an X6800 Conroe for $1100, think twice and buy a 6600 conroe for $350 because the retail boxed e6600's from the egg are clocking 2.93 ghz with absolute ease. This almost takes all the fun out of overclocking. I am not really trying for any kind of high OC numbers tonight. I am really just getting a feel for the Asus P5B-Deluxe. I now tried to up the multiplier to 9X and see if I can experience the 300 to 400 mhz fsb bug that some users are having. My board is not experiencing any issues as you can see in the next screenie.

For kicks and giggles, I own an X6800:

x6800.JPG

THIS CHIP IS AMAZING GUYS!

3.1 ghz, 1.30 volts (stock), stock heatsink/fan cooling. I increased the overclock by adding a full size room fan directly blowing over my motherboard.

Lowered temps 3 degrees idle/load. SuperPi1m went down to 16 seconds.

3100ghz.JPG

Last edited:
xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Only people paying $1000 for the XE6800s, are people that want the 11x multiplyer ;). Ideal for phase change / 975x boards.

There is a rumor that the next P5B-D bios will allow upwards multiplier unlocking... :santa: The latest bios opened up downward multiplier, the rumor is that upwards is only a bit away.
PS- I have a phase unit coming wed. so I will be able to tell you the deal on a p5b-d rigged for phase.. :beer:

Last edited:
dominick32 said:
There is a rumor that the next P5B-D bios will allow upwards multiplier unlocking... :santa: The latest bios opened up downward multiplier, the rumor is that upwards is only a bit away.
PS- I have a phase unit coming wed. so I will be able to tell you the deal on a p5b-d rigged for phase.. :beer:

only some retail cpus are able to unlock upward,and this is still a rumor, im sure not alot will be able to unlock up.

Heh nice, on stock air cooling even. Temps aren't too bad by the Asus utility, have you tried out the Intel TAT temp monitor that's floating around?

Guys,
The only thing done in the bios is this (i dont know what kind of pictures you would need?) :)

First I updated to the 0507 bios.

1. Disable Speedstep Technology and C1E
2. Manually Enter 2.05 volts for memory
3. Memory set memory divider @ 1:1
4. Manually set vcore at 1.35
5. Manually set FSB @ 326
6. Keep multiplier @ 9X

Thats it. It basically takes the fun out of overclocking. These conroes are just too easy. The only problem I ran into was when using the asus memory dividers. These dividers seem to completely kill stability at all levels. Also, I couldnt overclock without manually entering memory voltage at 2.05, because at auto settings it was at 1.8 volts and the ram wouldnt clock well.

Regards,

MadMan007 said:
Heh nice, on stock air cooling even. Temps aren't too bad by the Asus utility, have you tried out the Intel TAT temp monitor that's floating around?

Take a look in the third picture. I am using a temperature proggie called Core Temp that is almost identical to the TAT, intel thermal tool.

Ah I missed that one. Still not bad for stock cooling I suppose.

Why did you disable C1E, does it affect stability at all? I'd be curious to know if you got some temp drops for doing that, of course you shouldn't when using prime but it wouldn't hurt to test. It should definitely help temps in everyday use.

MadMan007 said:
Ah I missed that one. Still not bad for stock cooling I suppose.

Why did you disable C1E, does it affect stability at all? I'd be curious to know if you got some temp drops for doing that, of course you shouldn't when using prime but it wouldn't hurt to test. It should definitely help temps in everyday use.

I got a recommendation from a phase change guy on XtremeSystems to disable C1E if pushing FSB over 300 mhz. So, I didnt think twice and C1E has been disabled since day 1 of the bios. Many members were experiencing stability issues with C1E enabled so I am going with whats already been experienced.

Rattle said:
dom top her out on stock volters

I know bro. I just really dont like these temperatures. I am coming from a 21*C idle on my x2 4800+ to now currently a 52*C idle on the conroe. I am a bit hesitant to push her any further than x6800 speeds until I get my Vapochill but I will definitely keep you posted in this thread with any more stock heatsink/fan results.

When is your conroe coming in?

PS- Overnight shipping was $28 for everything: P5B-Deluxe, e6600, and ram. hehe :)

lol I wish I did that now, My 6600 and gskills will be here tomorrow and looks like P5B-D wed, but I am gonna call UPS tomorrow, they rescheduled the delivery for the 30th all by themselves apparently...

DOM feel the sink man maybe the temp is wrong ya know ?

Last edited:
we'll see how the xp90 fairs

makes no sense they run hotter than A64 90nm's when they are starting out at lower watts

Wow,
I just read that link. 60*C max temperature on these chips is incredibly low. I am at 61*C load on 2.93 ghz, 1.35 volts. :eek:
I gotta figure out a way to cool this sucker down.

THIS CHIP IS AWESOME

THIS CHIP IS AMAZING GUYS!

3.1 ghz, 1.30 volts (stock), stock heatsink/fan cooling. I increased the overclock by adding a full size room fan directly blowing over my motherboard.

Lowered temps 3 degrees idle/load. SuperPi1m went down to 16 seconds.

3100ghz.JPG

Back