• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

considering going SLI.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zigma

Well, I've been out of touch for a long time. It seems that as soon as I update my computer, I just don't keep up with the latest news etc.

So, Right now I have a RadeonX800 pro (AGP). It's still a great card, that's for sure but It's starting to show a bit and in a few months, it's going to be outdated. Funny thing is that I paid like $450 for it only to have the x850 come out a week later :beer:

So I'm doing a bit of window shopping and I'm thinking of going SLI. This is where I get confused a bit. I'm looking at the GeForce 7950 GX2. From the picture, it looks like the SLI is already there, Am i correct? So If I buy 2 of these, QuadSli? Ofcourse, I won't be buying 2 of them At the same time but is the option for it there and is it worth it?

My upgrade will prob go into a few stages, Video card -> Mobo/cpu -> RAM.

As well as the video card, What's a good mobo that isn't over the top expensive. Maybe like $150~

ur going to need a new Mobo to use that card. You kinda have to upgrade cpu/mobo/gfx card all at the same time from the looks of your set up. Im not 100% sure what else u got.

--pak

At the end of september a whole new generation of cards are supposed to be released with DX10 support, most everyone on the forums will probably advise you to wait until after this happens before buying anything.

yeah, I just realized that I'll have to do mobo/cpu first. I wasn't aware about the dx10 thing. I know about it but it didn't cross my mind.

Is there anything as far as news on what's coming out?

I wouldnt hold my breath for it. I personally try not to build my PC's on whats coming out tommorow or youll end up never buying anything(that could be a good thing for some of us). Instead I buy what was cool last week so I can get a super deal :) But even if DX10 comes out in late sept, its going to be a while before some all out DX10 cards come out. Not to mention the games. And im sure it will be backwards compatible to dx9

ha, but the feeling is still there :(

Any suggestion on what mobo's are decent for an amdx2 4600~

I'm considering picking one of those up and I don't wanna update my mobo in the future because It's not ready for SLI.

pak said:
I wouldnt hold my breath for it. I personally try not to build my PC's on whats coming out tommorow or youll end up never buying anything(that could be a good thing for some of us). Instead I buy what was cool last week so I can get a super deal :) But even if DX10 comes out in late sept, its going to be a while before some all out DX10 cards come out. Not to mention the games. And im sure it will be backwards compatible to dx9

LOL me too! I'm on my AMD 754 with my Venice cored 3400 Comming tommorrow! I bought my 7900 GT about a month ago knowing DX10 was comming out soon, but realized by the time it was actually USED cards would probably drop dramatically.

VIVA LA 754!

Back