• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ubuntu can I get KDE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Code:
sudo apt-get install kde

then wait a while.... reboot.... when you get to the login splash screen, click on "options" in the lower right-hand corner and sessions (at least I think it is sessions) Then you can choose kde from there.

I would recommend reinstalling. I had KDE and installed Gnome and it was very unstable, but of course that was on 5.10 and not 6.06 so I'm not sure if that was something they fixed

dicecca112 said:
I would recommend reinstalling. I had KDE and installed Gnome and it was very unstable, but of course that was on 5.10 and not 6.06 so I'm not sure if that was something they fixed

This is what I'm currently using right now. Installed Ubuntu just to play around with it on this extra laptop. Installed KDE, and it has been working fine ever since. Of course I've only been using it for a week, but everything seems good to go.

Installing and Removing Kubuntu Desktop :-
sudo apt-get install kubuntu desktop
sudo apt-get remove kubuntu desktop

Installing and Removing Ubuntu Desktop :-
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop

This is all you need to do to turn ubuntu to kubuntu and vice-versa

UnseenMenace said:
Installing and Removing Kubuntu Desktop :-
sudo apt-get install kubuntu desktop
sudo apt-get remove kubuntu desktop

Installing and Removing Ubuntu Desktop :-
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop

This is all you need to do to turn ubuntu to kubuntu and vice-versa

Definitely not trying to correct, but just asking for re-assurance. I noticed in the top command for kubuntu there is no dash between kubuntu and desktop, but for Ubuntu there is. Is this right?

Yamiyanazz said:
Definitely not trying to correct, but just asking for re-assurance. I noticed in the top command for kubuntu there is no dash between kubuntu and desktop, but for Ubuntu there is. Is this right?

It should say package not found if your using atp-get and you mistyped the package name. Just try it either way ..

Yamiyanazz said:

Not its not its supposed to be kubuntu-desktop but I forgot the dash :bang head

people that have been using linux for a bit which do like to use?...K or Gnome?...or any others?...too bad XGL is still a pain to install.....it seems like KDE has more apps available for it then gnome...but I also heardI think KDE eats up more resources?....the one thing I dislike about the desktops is it seems since their apps don't work on eachother's environments it's almost killing the modularness of Linux

blueswitch said:
people that have been using linux for a bit which do like to use?...K or Gnome?...or any others?...too bad XGL is still a pain to install.....it seems like KDE has more apps available for it then gnome...but I also heardI think KDE eats up more resources?....the one thing I dislike about the desktops is it seems since their apps don't work on eachother's environments it's almost killing the modularness of Linux

I like Gnome better. A lot 'lighter' (both visually and resource-based) and, in my opinion, prettier. I run Gentoo gnome-light package and it takes about 30MB of RAM. Fast as hell. I also played around with Fluxbox... Too light though. It's all a matter of preference. Just try them all.

They do work with each other. I haven't worked too much with Debian based distros but you can run, for example, gparted with KDE.

would like to see a screen shot of your gnome desk.....not trying to thread jack but I think it's relevent since the previous question was answered

I also prefer KDE. I use XFCE on older machines though.

You can use KDE programs on the Gnome desktop, and gnome programs on the KDE desktop. Which desktop you use doesn't affect the programs you want to use, just the look of the programs when you run them.

I prefer gnome with xgl and compiz as i simplt feel they make a more complete desktop experience

anyone have any good guides for putting XGL compiz on Ubuntu?....I looked into it some in the Ubuntu forums but found mostly several uncomplete guides...with people having mixed results...plus some of my config files wern't mirroring theirs....would love to run compiz...I tried the Kororra Live CD on a machine at work that had a 6600gt and it was pretty smooth....it didn't work on my machine at home that has a 7600GT in it though.

Back