• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock V core mod adventure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Samoyed

I've been reading the boards regarding this OC for some time now. I finally decided to take the plunge. I have to warn some of you. The soldering mod on those little pins is not easy.

I got a soldering iron from Radio Shack with a pointy tip. I had to take the board out of the case and even then, the socket bracket was partially obstructing the 2 solder points. Damned if those point are not VERY small. Kinda like this .. and I mean as small as the previous dots. Using a magnifying glass and a flashlight I was by some small miracle, able to solder the 2 point together without shorting out the adjacent points.

NOTE: In retrospect I should have removed the socket bracket from the MB and searched for a very small Soldering iron with a short handle to minimize movement. A long handle causes a lot of shaking. Better yet I would have obtained conductive paint or glue.

Results: When I booted up I went into the BIOS as set the voltage at 1.150 as indicated. I exited and went into the BIOS again and it read 1.56-1.6 V core up from it's usual 1.38 or so. Great, I thought. I exited and began to boot. It posted but would not start Windows. What the hell? I lowered my OC to 2.2 and it DID start Windows. Even though the voltage was supposed to be 1.56 or so at this point Sandra said it was 1.37. I assume that this is because it reads the BIOS and MB sensors. Next I lowered the BIOS voltage setting to 1.375 and then raised the OC to 2.65. It booted Windows and ran 3DMark. Huh? I wound up just staying at 2.5ghz with a 250 FSB so my memory can stay at just over 400mhz with tight timings. I have no idea what the actual voltage is to my core but whatever I did, It OCs a little higher even though the BIOS volt setting is basically the same as before. The 1.150 setting did not allow a higher OC or boot Windows. The CPU continues to run at about 98F aka 37C and the HSF is not even hot.

Can anyone explain these odd results? How do I know the actual voltage going to the core? Can the BIOS readings be trusted or does the volt mod change the readout? :confused:

BTW, I set the memory to 266 so I could rule that out as a factor interfering with the OC.

No idea, sorry.

You may have some problems with the BIOS reading the sensors, but I am not sure how Sandra would get different readings then.

Windows and the bios sensor will detect what your actual voltage is set to. Sandra and other programs will also list the "VID" at 1.150. this equals the setting u used in the bios.
It sounds to me like your cpu has reached its max overclock. the voltage increase required to get stability will increase exponetialy as you near its limit, at which point it will not respond to voltage. Only increase the volts when you need too. Starting up into windows with your previous oc and the most voltage you can push (ie 1.6) is not smart and may damage the cpu. Increase the htt untill you get errors, THEN increase the vcore by one increament. Check for stablility at the same htt speed. If its stable then increase the htt. repeat that cycle as required/desired

Using this method i have successfully oc'ed an amd xp-m to 2.7ghz @ 1.975 volts and my current opteron 146 to 2.9ghz @ 1.583v (1.55 in bios (well actually 1.150))

GL

Back