• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 6300 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oldsouth

Registered
I am building a Intel Core2 6300, Asus P5B, OCZ DDR2 800, 7600GS for a friend. I have always ran AMD cpu's and am unfamiliar with some of the settings of the Intel. The specs say 1.87 GHZ with 1066 FSB and 266 core mhz. System core frequency to FSB frequency is 1/7. What I don't understand is how fast the memory will be running at stock speeds. The memory I am getting is rated to 800 @ 4-5-4-15. I am planning on a mild overclock since he is computer illiterate. At stock, I presume the bus is 266 mhz, the cpu is 266 x 7 or 1862 mhz, but what is the memory? And what is the 1066 FSB?

The bus is quad pumped in Intels. So 266x4 is 1066 (close enough). You can run various dividers for the memory. 1:1 you would end up running 266 DDR on your memory, so it would be 532 mhz. As you OC and raise the fsb to say 300, if you keep your memory 1:1 it'll then run at 600 mhz and so forth. You have upward and downward dividers on the P5B Del I think so work this either direction you want.

So I could go to a fsb of 400 and be at the rated 800 on the memory, right? That would put the cpu at 2800 mhz. Looks like from other post that the cpu should run at that frequency. I think I might start there. Intel states the max temp of the processor is 61.4° C and voltage max is 1.3525

Where does Intel say that about the voltage? I could habe sworn someone pointed to an intel page that said 1.5v

And yes, you can go up to a 400fsb on the cpu and still be in spec with your memory.

Be warned...

I highly recommend going with another set of memory or getting the rev 2 version of the OCZ Platinum XTC 800MHz memory. There is a compatibility problem between the P5BD and that particular memory. You're looking at less than 50% chance it will work well for you. I have personally tested the P5BD with the OCZ 4-5-4-15 memory and have found it retards the memory timing excessively at stock speeds with it set via SPD and overclocking it is useless. Any attempt to alter timings manually render it unusable.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112411

Well I went to my NewEgg invoice and I was stupid enough to order the wrong memory. The ones I ordered are the 5-5-5-12 timing p/n ocz2soe8001gk. I guess it was too late last night when I ordered :bang head
Oh well, are there any issues with this memory. It is the same price as the ocz2p8001gk that I originally wanted and I just picked the wrong ones. Timing is higher but maybe I got something that will work properly but at cas 5

Ok, I will send the OCZ cas 5 back and I just ordered some Patriot PDC21G6400LLK @ 4-4-4-12 / 2.2v.

Any issues with those??

I am uncertain about the OCZ Golds and the P5BD. People only seem to be talking about the OCZ 800MHz Platinum XTC 4-5-4-15 because they were popular memory to buy. Haven't heard anything negative about the Patriots either.

Well, if it were mine I would be installing either Corsair or HyperX. But since I am trying to help a friend build a decent computer cheap, we went with 2 x 512 of cheaper memory. I still plan to overclock the system though. Looks like overclocking the new Intel chips is relatively east.

If the order hasn't shipped Newegg would probably change it for you. Their customer service is really good just shoot them an email.

Back