• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Access Denied

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crfracer290

OK well my friend brought his IDe hard drive over to my house and I set it up as a slave to my IDE dvd drive. It connects fine but we cant access his main user documents, whenever I go to E:>Documents and Settings> Main User, it says "Access Denied". I guess this is because he a password set for that user but we cant change it because I am booting windows off of my HDD.

Is there any way we can get into this user file because theres some important stuff we need.

Thanks

i myself have encountered this problem before, sadly i never did figure out if there was a way to access the password protected data or not

ill be keeping my eye on this thread...perhaps someone knows

Anybody have any ideas how, there has to be a way. I really need this contract that he has saved on his HDD before he goes back home upstate.

Take ownership of the directory while logged in as a root user. Properties -> security tab -> advanced button -> owner tab -> change owner. If it's not that there's nothing else I can suggest with the current amount of information.

I cant seem to find a security tab for the entire drive or for just the folder. Anything else I could do?

The training wheels have to be taken off first. Open exploder, go to the tools menu -> folder options -> view tab -> deselect 'use simple file sharing' from the bottom of the settings list -> ok. Without this MS forces you into using wizards.

open explorer
Right click the root of drive (x) or the folder you dont have access too
properties -> Security -> Advanced -> owner
Select yourself and ensure you check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

Once that goes through your entire drive (takes a while)

Go Back to advanced
and under permissions make sure you add yourself (still on the root of the drive)
Once again make sure you checked "Replace permissions entries on all child objects with entires...."

If you cant see that, you probly have simple file sharing turned on.
To fix that:
In explorer,
Tools -> Folder Options.
Click on the view tab, and then scroll to the bottom.
Uncheck Use simple file sharing and hit apply.

That should let you see the security tab

OK I figured it out, I had to log into the main Admin account to be ables to access the security tab..Thanks alot guys, this really helps me alot

Back