• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please build me a conroe system for +-700Quid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shades_of_Me

Hey i have been trying to put together a conroe system, but i am getting too confused with whats what and whats better so i need to build a complete sytem for around 700 pound It also needs to include a monitor..thanks in advance..I want the best bang for my buck

Just a little tip to help you out, convert the pounds into $US dollars and I think you'll get better feedback overall. Personally, I am still thinking about what direction to go with my new Conroe rig so I'm not really in a position to give you my thoughts yet.

:beer:

From the Bank of Canada website I calculate about $1317 US, does that make sense?

i'm not sure what 700 quid works out to in Canadian or American dollars, but it sure doesn't sound like enough, especially if you need a monitor.

please list the parts you will need...case?, dvd-rw?, floppy?

look to the thread called "Cost for Conroe?" on the first page to give you an idea of what you will be looking at. i know i spent just over $1000 on a cpu/mobo/ram/psu. that included all shipping and taxes, in Canadian funds. i am reusing my case, dvd-rw/dvd drives, floppy. i bought a slightly used x800pro pcie for like $90 from the classifieds here, and a couple of weeks ago i spent $115 on a 320gb seagate HD.

you can do it cheaper than i did, but it is a trade off. you get what you pay for really. i would say, do not skimp on ram/psu. mobo, there are a few choices that oc decently. i went with the p5b-dlx, but the gigabyte ds3 is about $100 cheaper (but some people have had NO luck with it). also, figure about $50 for a good aircooler, i went with the Scythe Ninja Plus, comes with a wimpy fan, but i've got a 125cfm 120mm fan i plan on using for benching runs.

still awaiting my parts, so i cannot give you first hand results yet.

Hi, yeah i need everything from the bottom....so.....
Case
Mobo
PSU
HD
Monitor
DVD-RW
CPU
GFX card

I obviously need to think of the little things that all add up like cables and heatsink..stuff like that..and if it is over 700 homw much over 700..cheers

700.00 GBP = 1,312.07 USD

Would it be worth going to a dual core not conroe and saving the cash cause i am astill bound to see a difference on a dual core as opposed to what i am running now?

I wouldn't. I think the little bit you'd save going with say an 805 rather than an Allendale would bite your bootie later. I'd look at the 6300 on the DS3 board.

with $1300 American dollars to work with, you could put together a sweet Allendale rig that till KILL any other dual core cpu out there (except of course a similarly clocked Conroe).

i'm not sure what prices are like in the UK, but in Canada they are a bit high compared to in the states.

i would get a p5b-dlx, e6300 and any ram that can do DDR2-1000. 500fsb would put you at 3.5ghz, and that mobo should give you more, if your ram can handle it.

get a used gfx card on the cheap, maybe wait for dx10 parts. monitor is up in the air, i got a refurb IBM P275 for $160 here locally, i would look for a good sale locally, shipping on a monitor is expensive. same thing with a case.

Prices in UK will generally be a little more expensive than the best US prices but there not usually that far off. Since you have to buy from local sources I can't really tell you what to buy or whats available, but for a general idea what you should spend on it:

Case - $100
Mobo - $200
PSU - $100
HD - $100
Monitor - $200
DVD-RW - $40
CPU - $240
GFX card - $320

Theres your $1300. You left memory off that list. Normally its going to run in the $200 range for some Corsair or Crucial Balistix or Kingston HyperX, etc. I'd look for the best DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 you can find for the price.

that mobo won't overclock very well in my opinion.

at the very least look at a ds3, but i would rather have a p5b-dlx, even if it breaks the budget.

The p5b dlx is 243USD over here...I am not huge into overclocking so i am just looking for a system that is going to give me noticable increase in speed over what i have at the moment...

how much can you find a gigabyte ds3 for? they are around $150 in north america i think.

you might not need the BEST ocing mobo, but the asrock is almost the worst. can't argue with the price however.

Fellow UK dweller here...

Well luckily for you I have been speccing a PC for around the £800 range, so hopefully this will give you an idea of what you can get. :beer:

Maxtor DiamondMax 320GB SATA II 16MB £52.75
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 GT 256MB £119.99
Sansun Arctic 550w Modular PSU £34.02
Sony 16x DVDRW Dual Layer black £17
Hiper 120mm Case Fan £5.09
Antec P180 Case £69.94
Corsair 1GB DDR2 667MHz £52.95
E6300 Core 2 Duo *OEM* 1.86GHz £103.71
Hanns-G 19" 700:1 8ms DVI TFT Monitor 3 Years Warranty £99.99
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 £103

That lot comes to roughly £658 without VAT, so it comes to about £773 inc VAT. Of course what you are missing here is the power lead for the case (v cheap) a keyboard and mouse, a heatsink and fan for the CPU and a toolkit which you may need to put it together.

Of course, you could get a cheaper case, a smaller HD (250GB costs about £10 less) and a 17" monitor if you don't need 19", and a cheaper graphics card. However, this is probably the most balanced rig you can buy for the price in terms of overall performance and for overclocking ability. The e6300 can clock high, the motherboard should be good enough, and the RAM although rated 667mhz apparently can reach 800mhz speeds pretty easily.

Hope this helps. Guys please let me know if I've missed anything (unless I mentioned that it is in my post). :santa: :beer:

i would stay away from modular psu's. do some serious research on the psu, or you will wind overall dissapointed by your oc results. ;)

Thats a great system thanks...would you be able to let me know where you foiund that stuff....cause that would be really helpfull thanks

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i would stay away from modular psu's. do some serious research on the psu, or you will wind overall dissapointed by your oc results. ;)

Well could you enlighten me here? Considering Shades will probably want to know as well...

Shades_of_Me said:
Thats a great system thanks...would you be able to let me know where you foiund that stuff....cause that would be really helpfull thanks

Well, you may want to ditch the PSU, but everything there apart from the graphics card and motherboard can be found at those prices at ebuyer.com.

The graphics card can be ordered here (scroll down), the motherboard can be bought here.

Back