• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network neighbourhood, doesn't show the comps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milad_sm

Hello people...I have connected 4 PCs to a router, which is connected to the broadband internet...get the picture? no server or anything like that...
and...ammm...it used to work fine...i had a LAN...but something happened on a machine with win2k, and it just refused to be in the LAN or on the net!! so, after trying a lot of things, i reinstalled win2k, and the problem was solved....but now, it is not on the LAN anymore...on the win2k pc, i can see other comps, but i can't connect to them...but on other win98 pcs, i can't...and when i open network neighbourhood, it kinda keeps looking and looking til it hangs!!
why do you think i can't see the win2k in the LAN? the ip is connect...what else could be the problem?
oh and...don't use VERY big words... i am new to networking! ;)

Are you sure it's a member of the same workgroup? Right click on My Computer and choose properties. Click the Network Identification tab and see what workgroup name it has. It must be the same as all the other PCs...EXACTLY the same.

If it's different, change it.

make sure that the "deafult gateway" option in all your computers has the ip address of your router. most likely its 192.168.0.1. Thats all i can think off. Oh yea and make sure that each computer has an ip address and the subnet mask is something like 255.255.255.0 or whatever your vendor's manual says its supposed to be.

well...it's all set as you said...
my guess is that it has something to do with win2k..
in win2k's network neighbourhood, I didn't see other comps...after i reinstalled tcp/ip (just to try!), i COULD see the other comps...but i still can't connect to them!!
driving me crazy!!
any experts in win2k can tell me if there are any further settings other than what is in the network properties box??
thanks people.

Back