• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The big next gen news is in..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falcon-K

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/shipment-of-broadway-for-wii-has-been-well-underway-hint-of-pow/

Well the 12:01 release info on some breaking next gen turned out to be an update on the wii's processor...

"IBM has announced that their Broadway chip custom-designed for Nintendo's Wii console is not only already in Nintendo's hands but has been since July. "We have been shipping well within this quarter (July)," said Ron Martino, director of IBM Technology Collaboration Solutions. "In fact, we have shipped a significant volume in this quarter."

Lol this pic that they used had me laughing for about 2 mins

broadway8.jpg

FudgeNuggets said:
Unlike some other company not named Microsoft, Nintendo has their act together as usual.

Sure Nintendo is going to have their act togheter, all they are doing is putting GameCube in a smaller box.

They are not building multi-million processors like other two companies.

RedDragonXXX said:
Sure Nintendo is going to have their act togheter, all they are doing is putting GameCube in a smaller box.

They are not building multi-million processors like other two companies.

Well as long as they aren't building a 'multi-million processor' that runs far too hot, or fails to work at the intended speed, that's fine by me.

>HyperlogiK< said:
Well as long as they aren't building a 'multi-million processor' that runs far too hot, or fails to work at the intended speed, that's fine by me.

First production hardware is bound to have prblems, always has and always will!

Try building a car vs bycicle and see which gives you more problems ;)

And that's inherently better... How?

IMO: Wii is a "Move" It's a change, it's a challenge. It's calling the industry out and saying "Screw You Old Way..." It's not following the system of "Revise graphics hardware, add more audio/visual features" It's shifting its focus away from "How can I make this game look Über L337?" to "How can I make this game Über L337?"

It's a fundamental shift, and it can either go really really well, and completely own, or it may not. I don't see the Wii as the "Be All End All My Console Pwnzorz" console. I see it as the "Hey, look... Fun stuff to do!"

Some people will say that Graphics are the most important of a game, and those people are right, to themselves. Other people will say that they'd rather have a game with a solid backstory and well developed gameplay, and those people would be right to themselves too.

And I'm *not* saying that a game that has uber l337 graphics can't have amazing gameplay. I *am* saying that companies whose primary focus is on the "Tried and True" method will most likely *not* put an emphasis on discovering new and innovative gameplay.

All Nintendo did was decide that Gameplay was going to be the primary focus of their console, and that they didn't want to risk their company on a multi billion dollar investment in hardware that won't necessarily fullfill that purpose.

I say GG Nintendo.

RedDragonXXX said:
The argument here is not on which console is better so lets stay of that road.

correct, the argument is " which company doesn't have their head up their A** about the whole development, cost, speed at which their console is released, and the availability of units to the customers ".

Which nintendo wins that one :p

After rereading the first post, I fail to see any argument at all, so why start one? I guess this is good news, if it means there will be plenty of units to go around at launch, no scalpers. When is the launch expected and what is the price tag?

What I don't understand is why people are saying "It's just an upgraded gamecube, that's why it's coming out on time, with enough consoles for the people who want them, etc. etc." as if it's a bad thing...

Elif Tymes said:
What I don't understand is why people are saying "It's just an upgraded gamecube, that's why it's coming out on time, with enough consoles for the people who want them, etc. etc." as if it's a bad thing...

Because some of us grew out of playing Pokemon a long time ago. I can't relate when people say that Nintendo comes out with great games. Maybe this time around their hardware is original, but I bet there will be the same characters (Mario, Zelda, Pikachu, etc.) placed in gaming scenarios like: Mario Party 12, Mario Tennis, Pokemon 13, and Smash Brothers. I know I am forgetting some. If they would just stop milking the same characters then maybe they would be on to something.

Elif Tymes said:

The upgrades alone do not warrent that figure 100% if you ask me, I looked over some hardware/info on it and it looks be worth while at the price.

Actually I rather enjoyed zelda, back in the day. The new zelda game looks to be just as fun. Of course they will have the same characters it would be stupid to abandon the most famous titles of all time. For people that have no interst in those games how about Project Hammer, Metroid Prime 3, Disaster or Exite Truck. As far as being onto something how can one dismiss the totaly new controller, they pretty much invented the controller that is widely used to this very day by all consoles. I really can't understand why so many people are into bashing this system.

Krome said:
I'm so in the air on what to buy. I really want something HD for my monitor, but I still think that I'm going for the Wii.

* Up to 480p and will work with a computer monitor as well as any TV or projector
* Component (including Progressive scan), S-Video, or composite output
* 16:9 widescreen support

I don't own a TV myself here, only a big monitor. Glad the system can connect to it hopefully....

twEEkerAreUs said:
* Up to 480p and will work with a computer monitor as well as any TV or projector
* Component (including Progressive scan), S-Video, or composite output
* 16:9 widescreen support

I don't own a TV myself here, only a big monitor. Glad the system can connect to it hopefully....

My monitor is HD-Ready, I hook up my cousin's 360 via component [1080i] sometimes.

Back