• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The big next gen news is in..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy Diver said:
Because some of us grew out of playing Pokemon a long time ago. I can't relate when people say that Nintendo comes out with great games. Maybe this time around their hardware is original, but I bet there will be the same characters (Mario, Zelda, Pikachu, etc.) placed in gaming scenarios like: Mario Party 12, Mario Tennis, Pokemon 13, and Smash Brothers. I know I am forgetting some. If they would just stop milking the same characters then maybe they would be on to something.

Yes, which is why people hate to see a Mel Gibson movie, and people downright refuse to watch anything with Keanu Reaves...

Some people like to see familiar faces. The Big N Doesn't JUST put out games with those charachters, however. Check out the Nintendo DS Game List

I'd say 75% of these are "new" games, with never before seen charachters

Krome said:
My monitor is HD-Ready, I hook up my cousin's 360 via component [1080i] sometimes.

Yeah, my monitor is a CRT with 2 VGA connections only. It looks like they are releasing an adaptor for VGA at least that is what I have heard.

Unlike the other two competitors Nintendo is not trying anything revolutionary in terms of the CPU. So thought I am glade it's on schedule, I would be pretty disappointed if it was not since it's old technology. Then again I guess I should be speaking of IBM not Nintendo.

In a way i'm glad they didnt go all out on the processor... but isn't it only like 700mhz? is it too much to ask to get something faster? I mean my garbage heap sempy sells for $60 and it's 1.8ghz... i would have gladly payed for something faster with no need to push uber fast technology... oh well to each his own i guess...

boris_37 said:
In a way i'm glad they didnt go all out on the processor... but isn't it only like 700mhz? is it too much to ask to get something faster? I mean my garbage heap sempy sells for $60 and it's 1.8ghz... i would have gladly payed for something faster with no need to push uber fast technology... oh well to each his own i guess...

but that 700Mhz can't always be taken as 700mhz.

look at AMD's. They are ( were, dunno anymore ) 30% more efficient than Intels's. So a 1Ghz amd was the same as running a intel at 1.3Ghz.

The architecture of the new CPU is what matters. not pure Mhz. A new architecture, if done correctly, can lower clocks, but increase performace. While also lowering heat.

sure, everyone says that the Wii is only 1.5 times faster than the gamecube.

But where does that 1.5 come from? is that looking at clock-rate, and bandwidth speed only? Or does that take into account Different architecture of their CPU? and a newer generation of video cards?

thats something i have been wondering.

If that 1.5 isn't taking account of new technology's, and just numbers only. you might as well say 1 gig of DDR is no different, and no better than 1 gig of DDR2 memory.

BossBorot said:
Lol this pic that they used had me laughing for about 2 mins

broadway8.jpg

looks like he's staring down a pan of Special brownies....I can just picture him saying...MMmmmm :drool:

AMD actually only got that performance lead when Intel went Pentium 4, so at the 1Ghz mark AMD was not 30% faster. Still though the fact remains thet them producing this system is nothing amazing. Everything in the system is tested technology that was proven to work years ago. The simple fact to me that it is not out yet is somewhat a suprise. Yes I know they are redoing everything and not just using a Coppermine, or a 7600GS, but it's still not cutting edge. It should have no heat issues, no real yeild issues, and be cheap. I am not saying this is bad, as this is what Nintendo is going for, all I am saying is I have seen a lot of people start to act like Nintendo is so awsome for meeting their date were the other two companies failed. Which is true, but not that amazing when you take into account what Nintendo actually had to do compared to the other systems. (Cell for example is completly off the wall design that is of course not going to be perfect right off the bat.) Again though there is nothing wrong with using a tested technology and could even be a plus as gamers know they are getting a good system, not something that may fail in 2 months.

Well yes Nintendo took the cheaper route in terms of hardware horsepower everyone should know that. Hopefully, the Wii won't be as buggy as the first batch of Xbox 360s, and how the PS3 may be, considering how complex its architecture is.

One thing Nintendo said in its defense was that most of us do not have HDTVs (only about 1-10% of us do in the US and Europe) and while the 360 and PS3 can offer stunning visuals on 720p sets, most consumers will never see this. So basically, the Wii is as good as graphics capability is going to get on a conventional television screen. Of course, the 360 and PS3 will be able to push more NPCs for example, but the amount of detail that can be shown on a conventional tv is so low that there isn't a need for hundreds of MBs of RAM to render high resolution textures because you just can't see them.

This is the argument, not my opinion, imo I agree with Nintendo on the capability of a normal television, but I still want a HDTV and still want amazing visuals in the hope then I'll get a nice treat when I eventually do go HD. :D :beer:

Oni said:
If this thread turns into some kind of fanboy flamefest, I swear to God and sonny Jesus that I will ban every person in it! :mad:

Shame it has to come to that, eh? Anyway why get so worked up over it? Let them beat each other up until they're tired of it instead of wasting your time babysitting. LOL!!!! :beer:

RedDragonXXX said:
Go to see that you can carry an intelligent argument :rolleyes:

Ok,

If I am going to spend 300-400$ USD on a product that has shiped to shelves that I can put in my cart, you are saying that its ok for them to blow up, and do mysterious things simply because its first run?

A company's job is to test their products thoroughly for defects, not throw a product out there and allow problems since its "first run" production.

ryanmartini said:
Ok,

If I am going to spend 300-400$ USD on a product that has shiped to shelves that I can put in my cart, you are saying that its ok for them to blow up, and do mysterious things simply because its first run?

A company's job is to test their products thoroughly for defects, not throw a product out there and allow problems since its "first run" production.

Bingo. There is no excuse for faulty electrical products although companies may blame it on consumer pressure of something daft like that. Most of us don't spend our hard earned cash on something for it to work only some of the time.

That ESRB notice is only for online play. ;)

It's good to see everything is running as planned. I might purchase a Wii with Zelda this christmas... can't wait!

dan

Back