• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista To Have Backdoor ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files.

Windows Vista is due to be rolled out later this year. Cambridge academic Ross Anderson told MPs it would mean more computer files being encrypted.

He urged the government to look at establishing "back door" ways of getting around encryptions.

The Home Office later told the BBC News website it is in talks with Microsoft.

A Microsoft spokeswoman said Windows Vista was designed to be the most secure version of Windows yet.

She said: "It is our goal to give PC users the control and confidence they need so they can continue to get the most out of their PCs.

"At the same time, we are working with law enforcement to help them understand its security features and will continue to partner with governments, law enforcement and industry to help make the internet a safer place to learn and communicate."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4713018.stm

Interesting. I did notice that the control panel does have a hard drive encryption utikity, though when I tried to use it it said I had an unsupported hard drive or something.

One more reason not to go w/ Vista...
I mean, does anyone really believe those backdoors wouldn't be mis-used?

im not certain if anything has happened regarding this in the UK or if it will but the idea of a company making backdoors for ''governments, law enforcement and industry'' concerns me greatly...

UnseenMenace said:
im not certain if anything has happened regarding this in the UK or if it will but the idea of a company making backdoors for ''governments, law enforcement and industry'' concerns me greatly...

What concerns me even more is that the ''governments, law enforcement and industry'' thinks they have a right to that information.

Any backdoor would quickly negate any encrpytion or security measures taken by Microsoft in the first place. When you hide the key to your house under the doormat, its only a matter of time before someone just walks right in.

Anytime somebody "big" tries to do encryption, the feds always come knocking. It's in their job description or something. Every time though, they've left fairly empty handed. No major corporation in their right mind would allow for a backdoor to be built in. As soon as somebody uses it, %CORPORATION%'s public image is going to be shot (especially if it comes out that they purposefully put the backdoor in).

The biggest victory I've heard of the feds getting was limiting the strength of keys in exported software to 40 bits. That royally sucked, but only lasted a few years (there currently isn't really any limit).

JigPu

OMGWTFLOL!!!1!11!!one!1!!1! Teh guvermnt is teh hAx0rz! M$ will kill all our first born!

Nothing will come of this... Microsoft is building this version of Windows to be the most secure thing since the abacus. You really think they will put a back door in for the first hacker to find it to exploit, so the cops can access your files easier? The cops will just have to get better at what they do... I am sure M$ will give suggestions on ways to make it easier... but it will still be hard as heck to access the files.

Microsoft: Inventing better ways to hide your pron, since Sept 15, 1985.

This was in discussion several months ago where some governemt (I think it was the US in this case) asked MS to make a backdoor for them to get in. The MS Lead Security guy basically said no way and told the government that this will not happen. And btw, your quote says nothing about MS actually agreeing to make the backdoor. It just says that they'll partner with governments to help them better understand security in Vista. Funny how people are jumping to conclusions with that article and are like, "One more reason to not buy Vista!" Rofl at those retarded comments.

IS Security's perspective:

1) Users in a corporate environment have no reasonable expectation to privacy; therefore, IS Security groups will ALWAYS maintain methods to bypass hard drive encryption (normally keeping a copy of the keys), because we need it to do our jobs.
2) Other than that...this is a Really Bad Idea(tm)

Back