• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to fix Microsoft Windows .url link File Download - Security Warning !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Some of us like to have a collection of .url files that we use on multiple devices to launch web site links which are browser independent.
Some of us have have used internet like this since Windows 95 and still have a Favorites folder filled with twenty years worth of .url links that work under Firefox/Chrome since we stopped using Internet Explorer, so this is not about Windows Internet Explorer.

Everyone who does this in the world has been pulling their hair out lately because Microsoft, in their wisdom, decided to make all versions of Windows which have been updated in late 2016 or later to start displaying a big File Download - security warning !!! each and every time you try to use any one of your many normal personal .url links on any computer.

I am posting this, so it gets a forum search hit, and maybe helps someone in the future.

Apparently it has dawned on Microsoft that (lots) of people still use .url links. Someone at Microsoft has created a FIX (just select the appropriate Windows version for your system):

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3199375

Good one.
You've just graduated to a whole new level ATMINSIDE. :D

Mad props and respek for that reply :) because it's true.
I'm just gonna go sit in my Forever Alone booth now. :)

ForeverAloneBooth.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that booth.
No expectations, no disappointments. :)

Good one.
You've just graduated to a whole new level ATMINSIDE. :D

Mad props and respek for that reply :) because it's true.
I'm just gonna go sit in my Forever Alone booth now. :)

View attachment 186068

Don't feel bad c9, you can be sitting at your booth enjoying the delicious meals you made from dKp0DZE.jpg

Last edited:
Dear friend,
If there's any place I'll be enjoying that microwave cooking for one, it won't be at my favorite booth... it'll be at my very special personal table. I proudly assembled it myself. :D

ForeverAloneTable.jpg

Full disclosure: c627627 has actually produced offspring.
With a girl.
Good looking one too. ;)

:Dhahaha:D

Back