• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternate Suggestion for Algeacide Besides Alchohol Free Iodine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alien1099

I went to Walgreens to pickup some of the recommended iodine that they sell and it was $17 for a big bottle! I don't need a small bottle much less a big one for $17! :eek: Are there any other alternatives that I could use? I'm using 15-20% VW deep green/blue antifreeze in my loop with distilled water and a little bit of Rit whitener and brightener for UV glow. I've had it this way for a long time now, but the threat of algea is always in the back of my mind. Any suggestions without spending almost $20 for a big bottle I don't even need?

Try Save-On/Sav-On/ CVS/Pharmacy/Osco/ whatever they're calling themselves this week. Usually they're cheaper than Walgreens.

I have bought both alcohol free iodine and algaecide at Walmart. The algaecide is by the fish aquariums.

Honestly a 15-20% mixture of ethelyne glycol is plenty to inhibit any potential growth in your system. I've had a jug of 10% antifreeze/distilled water that's been sitting (not circulating) in a warm, dark, and naturally humid environment for...oh, maybe two years now. It's still as clear as when I first mixed it.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. :) Honestly, how many watercoolers have you heard of who actually find algae growing in their loop?

johan851 said:
Honestly a 15-20% mixture of ethelyne glycol is plenty to inhibit any potential growth in your system. I've had a jug of 10% antifreeze/distilled water that's been sitting (not circulating) in a warm, dark, and naturally humid environment for...oh, maybe two years now. It's still as clear as when I first mixed it.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. :) Honestly, how many watercoolers have you heard of who actually find algae growing in their loop?
I'm with you - I don't see how anything can flourish in a 10% anti-freeze mix ...

Besdides alge grows on the surface unless the water has a high CO2 content. This means that in a loop that has been bled (effectivly no air) that alge can only grow on the srface. The only surface is in the T or Res with a T thats like 1/2 sq in... not much going to be growing.

I don't think that's true about algea only growing on the surface. I had bougt some of the PC Cooling USA premixed fluid that you add to a gallon of water. It says it contains algecide. I only used about a quart of the gallon and stored the rest away. Four or five months later I went to use it again and there were black slimies growing all over the jug's surface, even under the water where there is no air.

Well, whether or not someone can see algae growing in a 10% mix, the fact is that thread after thread has been posted of this exact thing happening. Why risk the hastle when you can spend about $4 at Walmart and just add a few drops?

I had growth with hydrix, albeit a bit diluted from the recommended solution, it yielded big long algae. This was after 1+ years of running.

Right now im on a ~7/93 mix and have had no growth or discoloration in the tubes (except some of the famous clearflex-film)

Has anybody tried to use the stuff they use in swimming pools, it comes by the bucket load and is dirt cheap, like 10 L for like 30 bucks aus. It comes super concentrated like one can can be used for a decent sized pool easy.

I know that the stuff keeps our swimming pool really clean for months and there is even leaves and stuff that fall into the pool over summer. Not to mention 3 kids getting into the pool almost everyday.

If you put some of that stuff into your pc loop it should stay algae free!

I have purchased elemental silver wire off ebay and will be getting them installed sometime next month. I'll report back the results. But that may be at least 2 months away from now.

Yep silver is has antibacterial properties BUT what do you do wiff the silver wire?

Do you just shove the wire into the res?

Do you shove the wire down the tubes?

Does he chop up the wire, if so wiff what?

if you want, just buy the koolance solution. I've never had growth with it. Zerex + distilled takes care of growth.

Back