• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another noob looking for some help :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazman29

Registered
Greetings from the noobest noob to liquid cooling. I have been gradually gathering the pieces to build a new system and decided to go with liquid cooling. I have read quite a few things in these forums about the pros and conns of various setups/parts/kits and decided to build it piece by piece rather than buy a ready made kit.

Here is a list of what I have so far:

Case: Thermaltake Mozart Tx VE1000 (Nice and huge so everything will fit inside with no problem).

Swiftech MCP655 pump with speed control
Bitspower water tank z-multi 400 reservoir
Danger Den MC-TDX cpu water block
2 Swiftech MCR220-QP dual 120mm radiators
Swiftech MCW30 chipset water block
Danger Den 8800GTX video card cooling block
Enough 3/8" ID barbs, clamps, and tubing to get the job done

My questions are:

Tubing:

I have 2 different sizes of tubing I can use. PrimoChill Clear 3/8" ID 1/2" OD or UV Blue 3/8" ID 5/8" OD. About 15 feet of each. Also have anti-kink coils for both sizes.

Would like to know if it is better to go with the thicker tubing?

Coolant:

I have some PC Ice with optional UV Blue die bomb. I have read a few things where the dies can cause some problems with junk accumulating in the loop. Of course, if I use the UV Blue tubing then the die is kind of useless. If I use the PC Ice, I will need to get more since I only have 1 bottle and it does not look like it will be enough to fill everything. I also have some PT Nuke and a Silver Kill Coil.

Should I go with the PC Ice or use distilled water instead?

Can the PC Ice be mixed with distilled water and used without any problems?

Since all of my water blocks are copper and the radiators are copper/brass do I need something to prevent corrosion? If so, what? Preferably something other than antifreeze and not poisonous.

The Loop:

What would be the best order or layout to connect each piece together?

Res >> Pump >> ? >> ? >> ? >> ? >> ? >> Res ???

Will the MCP655 be able to handle it or should I add another or get a bigger pump?

Should I use a single loop or make 2, 1 for CPU and Chipset and the other for the video cooler? Can the pump handle 2 loops or should I have a pump for each loop?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Greetings from the noobest noob to liquid cooling. I have been gradually gathering the pieces to build a new system and decided to go with liquid cooling. I have read quite a few things in these forums about the pros and conns of various setups/parts/kits and decided to build it piece by piece rather than buy a ready made kit.

Here is a list of what I have so far:

Case: Thermaltake Mozart Tx VE1000 (Nice and huge so everything will fit inside with no problem).

Swiftech MCP655 pump with speed control
Bitspower water tank z-multi 400 reservoir
Danger Den MC-TDX cpu water block
2 Swiftech MCR220-QP dual 120mm radiators
Swiftech MCW30 chipset water block
Danger Den 8800GTX video card cooling block
Enough 3/8" ID barbs, clamps, and tubing to get the job done

My questions are:

Tubing:

I have 2 different sizes of tubing I can use. PrimoChill Clear 3/8" ID 1/2" OD or UV Blue 3/8" ID 5/8" OD. About 15 feet of each. Also have anti-kink coils for both sizes.

Thicker is better, err wall thickness. It kinks less easily on tighter bends.

Coolant:

I have some PC Ice with optional UV Blue die bomb. I have read a few things where the dies can cause some problems with junk accumulating in the loop. Of course, if I use the UV Blue tubing then the die is kind of useless. If I use the PC Ice, I will need to get more since I only have 1 bottle and it does not look like it will be enough to fill everything. I also have some PT Nuke and a Silver Kill Coil.

Just distilled and a biocide please, for long term no issues. NO PC Ice please.
A fun new thread, one of many.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254399

Can the PC Ice be mixed with distilled water and used without any problems?

Since all of my water blocks are copper and the radiators are copper/brass do I need something to prevent corrosion? If so, what? Preferably something other than antifreeze and not poisonous.
No need for any anti- corossion at all.

The Loop:

Your fine with that pump. Res before pump inlet, rest is for best hose routing.

Will the MCP655 be able to handle it or should I add another or get a bigger pump?

Should I use a single loop or make 2, 1 for CPU and Chipset and the other for the video cooler? Can the pump handle 2 loops or should I have a pump for each loop?
Your fine with one loop. Two loops means TWO pumps, reses, water is fully seperate from other loop.

You have just enough rad. Go for it.

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Tubing:

i would go for the thicker tubing for tighter bends and less chance of the tubing collapsing on the inlet.
Coolant:

go with distilled and the biocide you have, best option to date.

no, you don't have any corrosion to worry about.
The Loop:

res>pump. the rest doesn't make a difference. route it for the shortest amount of tubing without sharp bends in the tubing if possible.

the 655 with handle it plenty fine.
for what your running 1 loop is fine.
2 loops means 2 of everything just so you know.

Thanks, this helps me quite a bit. I should have all my pieces in a few days so hopefully I can start piecing it together and have it up and running by the weekend.

Back