• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new delta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leon123

i just got my new delta 120mm 130cfm fan but i don't know where to plug it in. The power cable on it has only 2 prongs and it didn't come with an adapter. I can't find any adapters on the power supply and i can't seem to find anywhere on the mobo to plug it in. I have an FSP Group AX450-PN psu. Thanks in advance for helping

Devil's in the details, my friend. Best post a pic or a link to your fan.

I would NOT plug a 130cfm fan into a motherboard header, this is almost certainly too much power for this header.

Typically, 2 prongs means +V (colored) and ground (black). If it doesn't look like a standard connector, you may need an adaptor or learn how to do your own basic wiring.

navig

I also just purchased a sunbeam rheobus fan controller that hasn't come yet. I have looked at pictures and it seems that i might be able to connect the fan to the controller. Will that work?

The link indicates it is a standard 3pin female connector so you should be good. Only 2 prongs are being used because the 3rd prong is for rpm monitoring, which it appears your fan does not support.

The Sunbeam should handle the fan no probs, furthermore the direct link to the Sunbeam is a 3pin male and should mate directly with your fan. If your original cable is not long enough, you can pick up 3pin extension cables from your local computer shop like so.

navig

actually the link that i posted indicates that it is a 2 pin female.

Hmm, can't tell exactly from the picture, but it still looks like a 3 pin connector, only using 2 pins. Are you saying it is NOT? Maybe you could post a pic of what it looks like.

I know of 2 types of 2-pin standards.
1) Panaflo (hard to find male adaptors)
2) Video card/psu fan connectors. These are a little smaller than the standard 3 pin dealies. You can find adaptors here.

If all else fails, you can just cut and strip and splice onto a standard connector. Sorry if I'm a little impatient, I've got all the necessary equipment to build all my cables from scratch, so its never a problem for me...

navig

from what i can tell the fan has only 2 pins... I still am not quite sure what you are talking about when you say that it has 3 pins and only 2 are used because it doesn't fit it any power cables. I am going to bed but i will try to get a picture up tomorrow

3pin will connect via the motherboard, 2pin is just no third wire in the connector. you can also get an adapter for the 3pin to a 4pin molex. there are 2 pin connectors for those fans, which is for older servers i believe, if its just a 2pin and no 3rd pin connection/empty spot, then your gonna have to mod it, either taking out the pins and using the black is ground red is 12V or get a 3pin connector

Look at the picture middle down with the lovely purple background.

Notice, each of the adaptors (included with the rheobus) are 3 pin connectors with only 2 pins attached.

Most power supplies do not provide a 3 pin connector, but instead only use the larger 4 pin connectors.

When you buy a fan, the typical "standard" is to provide you with a method of powering the fan from either 3pin or 4pin either by using some sort of multi-connector or providing you with an adaptor.

Maybe we should also standardize our talk.
This is a 3 pin molex housing-female.
These are 3 pin molex sized pins. They go inside the 3 pin molex housing-female.

So you see a "standard" 3 pin molex housing-female can contain only 2 pins if you are not using the 3 wire for rpm monitoring.

Some fans will come with two pin fan connectors actually. If you've ever opened up a PSU or external hard drive, theres a good chance that you'll find one. What I've done in the past in cases like this is sacrifice another fan's three pin connector (usually from an old 40mm fan) for use in the new fan.

You can remove the pins from the two pin connector by using the point of a knife or pen to push down on the little metal tabs found on one side of the header. Once you've applied pressure to the pin's tab you should be able to gently remove the pins. Then you do the same thing for the fan with the 3 pin connector and insert the new fan's pins correctly into the 3 pin connector.

Alternatively you can always remove one of the connector's guides so that it will fit into a normal 3 pin header.

Moto7451 said:
Alternatively you can always remove one of the connector's guides so that it will fit into a normal 3 pin header.

would that work? it doesn't fit correctly into the 3 pin header because the guides won't let it. Also if i did remove one of the guides and plugged it into the 3 pin it would leave a pin open.. Would that matter?

Navig said:

that picture you speak of is not the type of pin i have. That picture has 3 pins with just one not being used. Mine is only 2 pinned and both of them have wires going into them.

If i cut off the guide and stuck it into the adapter it would leave one of the pins in the adapter header completely open. The extra pin in the adapter would be plugged into nothing at all. Would this still be all right? or could it mess something up?

oh ya, i will try to get pics up tomorrow.
I know that i said i would today but i was just way too busy.

one more thing i just remembered to ask. The three wires that are on the 3 pin headers are yellow, black, and red. Am i correct in saying that the yellow is for rpm monitoring?

ok i got it to work. My dad helped me rewire the header and then i cut off the guides. Right now i have it fired up on my thermalright 120 and it dropped my temps like 5c. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks a lot!

i woulda just suggested by a 2pin to 3pin for 99cents hehe glad you got it though. Btw cheap price on that delta fan

Back