• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ooohhh Killer NIC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm amazed to see that it actually gives you such an increase in FPS. I don't think it's close to being worth the money, but if it was closer to $50-$75, it might be a great card to look into. But at 4x that price, it's just not worth it. (To me anyway)

jivetrky said:
I'm amazed to see that it actually gives you such an increase in FPS. I don't think it's close to being worth the money, but if it was closer to $50-$75, it might be a great card to look into. But at 4x that price, it's just not worth it. (To me anyway)

I totally agree...if I had money coming out my arse I'd get it in a heartbeat, but I'm a poor mofo at the moment so oh well...but is nice to know something like that is out there & maybe if some other companys follow suit the price will come way down. I honestly can't see why it is so much...honestly I think $50-$75 would be fine...I think it is just b/c they basically have a monopoly on it that is it so high.

We’re told that Bigfoot currently has no plans on going to a x1 PCI-E platform as the inherent higher latency would be counter-productive to the Killer’s aspirations.

Ok sorry been up late. So does this mean that a PCI-e x1 card would be better or worse. As I was looking at a D-Link PCI-e x1 NIC today.

Wicked Klown said:
Ok sorry been up late. So does this mean that a PCI-e x1 card would be better or worse. As I was looking at a D-Link PCI-e x1 NIC today.

To me that sounds like it would be bad...which is odd b/c I was under the impression that PCI Ex X1 was faster then the standard PCI slot :confused:

hafa said:
Been covered before. and before that. The consensus was that it was basically marketing hype for those with more money than time to do research.

Marketing hype sure...but it does work & well from the reviews I read...and yes it is just way to much money...as I said I'd only touch it if I was rich & had the cash to blow or if it comes down to the $50-$75 mark.

Somehow I don't believe a game spends a quarter of its time in networking code to get those FPS increases in games in that "review"

PS: which reviews (plural)? Any more than this gd site?

You don't buy this card for FPS increase or PING times, you buy it for the onboard Firewall and Bittorrent client you can run. You connect an external drive to it's USB port then you never have to worry about bogging down your cpu/drive with torrents while you game. I hear there is also a virus scan program in development which can reside on the card and detect viruses even before it makes it to the windows OS. Think broad not so narrow as far as benefits. I do agree it's too pricey however it's more worth 75$

PalominoBURN said:
You don't buy this card for FPS increase or PING times, you buy it for the onboard Firewall and Bittorrent client you can run. You connect an external drive to it's USB port then you never have to worry about bogging down your cpu/drive with torrents while you game. I hear there is also a virus scan program in development which can reside on the card and detect viruses even before it makes it to the windows OS. Think broad not so narrow as far as benefits. I do agree it's too pricey however it's more worth 75$

if your bit torrenting so much that its bogging down your computer, you need to do 1 of 2 things

1 get a newer better computer

2 use another computer solely dedicated to torrenting.

that being said i think it would still not be worth it even if it was less than 50 bucks... heck if you have an onboard nic i see no use, as it would jsut be using up a PCI slot on boards nowadays that have dwindling ammounts of pci slots.

LOL newegg reviews for the thing are halarious

newegg said:
I have a T3 ethernet connection and this monster is just what I needed to really use my internet. My online games ran at 60 fps before I got this and now there 172-210!

over a 300% increase in fps.... jezus crist :p (sounds like someone just turned off vsync)

Last edited:
nd4spdbh2 said:
if your bit torrenting so much that its bogging down your computer, you need to do 1 of 2 things

that being said i think it would still not be worth it even if it was less than 50 bucks... heck if you have an onboard nic i see no use, as it would jsut be using up a PCI slot on boards nowadays that have dwindling ammounts of pci slots.

LOL newegg reviews for the thing are halarious

over a 300% increase in fps.... jezus crist :p (sounds like someone just turned off vsync)

Yeah, it's amazing how that NIC can bog down your CPU :)

nd4spdbh2 said:

..or... use better bittorrent client that use much-much less resources, dunno, I've seen ppl really love to use hogware torrent client that eats so much memory and cpu resources just for torrenting. :eh?:

In my eyes, that thing ain't NIC, its a lifestyle ! :D

nd4spdbh2 said:
And got a new vid card, OCed it, turned down gfx settings, switched to an older game...

Im not going to deny any performance boost, but I think its like onboard sound. Ya my xfi gave me a slight fps increase, but thats not why I bought it. A modern computer can handle audio and network traffic when playing a game, its not like they are as resource intensive as graphics or physics.

bing said:
..or... use better bittorrent client that use much-much less resources, dunno, I've seen ppl really love to use hogware torrent client that eats so much memory and cpu resources just for torrenting. :eh?:

In my eyes, that thing ain't NIC, its a lifestyle ! :D

what is your fav torrenting program? i noticed the program i use (Azerus) uses quite a bit of resources just sitting there.

nd4spdbh2 said:
what is your fav torrenting program? i noticed the program i use (Azerus) uses quite a bit of resources just sitting there.

If you're talking which one the best on resources usage on torrent clients, uTorrent, period. :)

Now, since you're using Azerus, this should be fun. :)

Before you switch from your Azerus load few torrents either seed or leech, take a snapshot on your memory usage like in taskmanager proceses and performance tab or write it down, uninstall it and now install uTorrent, load with the same/simliar torrents as Azerus did and compare again, oh yeah, I suggest wrap your jaw before you compare them. LOL :D

bing said:
If you're talking which one the best on resources usage on torrent clients, uTorrent, period. :)

Now, since you're using Azerus, this should be fun. :)

Before you switch from your Azerus load few torrents either seed or leech, take a snapshot on your memory usage like in taskmanager proceses and performance tab or write it down, uninstall it and now install uTorrent, load with the same/simliar torrents as Azerus did and compare again, oh yeah, I suggest wrap your jaw before you compare them. LOL :D

Oh yeah, uTorrent is waaaaaaaay better. As bing said, Azureus Sucks down RAM like candy. uTorrent is very light on resources and still has great options.

you know.. the reason I really wanted the killercard was so I could make a necklace out of the "KILLER" heatsink and drape it over my rig. BLING BLING

1-UP :clap:

Back