• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have 1500 dollars to blow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznkc730

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be building a computer for my friend who set his budget around 1,500 dollars. I'm pretty skilled at amd systems now (I've built 3 in the past 2 years), but I haven't really been up to speed on the intel side.

Basically, I know that Conroe is the current king of the hill, and that's what my friend here wants. So basically, here are my questions:

which conroe overclocks the most?
what motherboard should I buy?
which memory should I buy?

thanks

E6600 Retail
P5B-Deluxe Wifi Mobo
Gskill HZ DDR2-800

And call it a day!
Welcome to the conroe club bro. :beer:

dominick32 said:
E6600 Retail
P5B-Deluxe Wifi Mobo
Gskill HZ DDR2-800

And call it a day!

Agreed. All that, just 4Gigs of the Ram, 120-Ultra heatsink and also 3x 320Gig Perp drives (which are blasing fast). That cost me ~$1400 for the upgrade. But if you include PSU, Graphics card, Case, optical drive and harddrives (depending on how much space he wants if he needs new ones) you might be tightly pressed with that cash.

Lol @ the thread title. 1500? Ehh, I can blow it!

But, I wouldnt call a conroe set up a blow of money, its definately worth it.

Maybe you could sneak your parts into his computer and then have the conroe for yourself:mad:

hitbyaprkedcar7 said:
You can give it to me :)

Kidding :)

What all does he need? Hard Drive, Optical, Case, PSU, GPU, etc?

this is what i have in mind, feel free to make more suggestions

harddrive- western digital sataII's 2xRaid 0
optical - nec DVD+/-RW
Case - I'm gonna put it in a dell box, haha
PSU - OCZ Power stream 520
GPU 7900GT or maybe sli (if there's extra money)
Cooling - Best with the money that's left, maybe water, maybe a scythe ninja type air

dominick32 said:
E6600 Retail
P5B-Deluxe Wifi Mobo
Gskill HZ DDR2-800

And call it a day!

Thanks for the setup, but I have some more questions -

-From this i take it the E6600 overclocks the best?
-why is the p5b-deluxe wifi mobo the best? and is the bios easily navigated? (after i build it, i'm not gonna be anywhere near it, so it has to be straightforward enough for my friend to tweak should the need arise)
-how much does the gskill overclock, and what are some other alternatives to it?

the e6600 is the cheapest cpu with 4mb of cache. you can save some money and get a e6300 like i did. it "only" has 2mb of cache but i know i am more than happy with my results (see sig).

the p5b-dlx can easily hit 500fsb, which is needed to OC a cpu like mine, not so needed on a cpu with a higher multi like a e6600. BUT it also has a tone of nice features, like dual nic, wifi, matrix raid, etc.

really, for the money, there isn't any ram that will oc like the HZ's from what i've seen. well maybe the teamgroup rams i keep hearing about, but i didn't really look into them so much because i can't find them for sale in Canada. see my sig for what my HZ's will be doing 24/7. i can run them at ddr2-1200 mind you. ;)

the mobo won't be too difficult to set up and OC. consider that i got my first 775 setup on wednesday, and already i have acheived so much. see my thread for my results, this is what $900 Canadian spent on cpu/mobo/rams/psu can get you: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=477590

hUMANbEATbOX said:
the e6600 is the cheapest cpu with 4mb of cache. you can save some money and get a e6300 like i did. it "only" has 2mb of cache but i know i am more than happy with my results (see sig).

the p5b-dlx can easily hit 500fsb, which is needed to OC a cpu like mine, not so needed on a cpu with a higher multi like a e6600. BUT it also has a tone of nice features, like dual nic, wifi, matrix raid, etc.

really, for the money, there isn't any ram that will oc like the HZ's from what i've seen. well maybe the teamgroup rams i keep hearing about, but i didn't really look into them so much because i can't find them for sale in Canada. see my sig for what my HZ's will be doing 24/7. i can run them at ddr2-1200 mind you. ;)

the mobo won't be too difficult to set up and OC. consider that i got my first 775 setup on wednesday, and already i have acheived so much. see my thread for my results, this is what $900 Canadian spent on cpu/mobo/rams/psu can get you: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=477590

very nice oc humanbeatbox!

thanks for the clarification on the cpu. now about that memory, when u say the fsb needs to hit 500mhz, ur talking about 1000mhz ddr2 right? is that why ppl are recommending the gskill hz ddr2 800?

People are recommeneding anything with the D9 Chips. Gskills HZ DDR2 800 is one of them.

I've had a very successful time with them hitting near DDR-1000 on stock voltage, and mind you this is with 4 sticks of ram, which 3 of the 4 sticks could be holding back my highest clock yet they keep going.

As for FSB, doubt you'll hit 500FSB on the E6600. E6600 is nice just due to the higher multiplyer and also more cache to the other chips.

As for the motherboard, its relatively easy as soon as its setup (disabling features and just making sure its saved in one of the profiles). Benifit of the P5B-Deluxe WiFi is that it doesn't have the FSB limitation as do the P5W-DH (think thats right) where they can't go over 415 FSB (this can vary) due to the chipset, but yet that chipset has more preformance out of it.

I went with my P5B and expecially when paying a nice chunk of money I didn't want my motherboard to be the one factor of not OCing it more for just a little extra preformance.

1500$, **** computers spend it on a pimped out shopping cart playa

photo-pmc-giveaway-02.jpg

photo-pmc-giveaway-08.jpg

1500 to blow?!?! Forget the computers, we're going to BANGKOCK! I'm dead serious! Get your suitcases ready. I'm still packed from Sweden. I'LL show you how to spend 1500 bucks...

rainless said:
1500 to blow?!?! Forget the computers, we're going to BANGKOCK! I'm dead serious! Get your suitcases ready. I'm still packed from Sweden. I'LL show you how to spend 1500 bucks...

LOL! :beer:

i wish i had $1500 to blow, i'd take you up on that :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
LOL! :beer:

i wish i had $1500 to blow, i'd take you up on that :D

Better pick up another shift! Ask for some overtime... Take out a loan... You could be halfway to the airport by now. Stick-up a liquor store along the way!

/me looks at student loan sitting in savings account, begging to be spent in bangkok...

*SLAP*!!

must finish school.........must finish school........ :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
/me looks at student loan sitting in savings account, begging to be spent in bangkok...

*SLAP*!!

must finish school.........must finish school........ :D

Oh you'll learn a LOT over there. Trust me... :)

Ofcourse, he has 1500 to "blow" *wink wink*

1500 is pretty tight for a budget if you dont have PSU, DVD, Case etc but still mangeable. My Core 2 system are all new quality parts and cost me 1.57k

I would get the 2MB Core 2, either the E6300 or the E6400 cause they oc the most. I use the GA-965P-DQ6 mobo and it has TONS of quality features and is solid

Back