• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling HTPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
in a regular HTPC case, do you think external is the only way to go?? or I'd better go for the external "kit"...??

not looking for the best performance, just want to cool and quiet the HTPC down....

If it has a rear 120MM fan spot, get two yates and mount a rad there. (no radbox).

For example.. (view attachment). Fans are red, rad green. Tubing is dark green or gray, depending on which way you want to enter case. This is a looking-down on view. Most HTPC cases lay flat.

Attachments

• waterhtpc.JPG
    waterhtpc.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 316
Which Silverstone HTPC model is that LandShark?

From the looks of the size, it looks like you'll have enough room to watercool. That is, if your internal components/hardware are kept simple w/o a lot of clutter/stuff.

A common pump that HTPC users use is the Swiftech MCP350/355. It's small, compact, and easy to mount using a foam pad. Secondly, it uses 3/8" inner diameter tubing. You wouldn't want thick/fat tubing circulating your HTPC since 3/8" I.D. tubing is flexable and skinny and won't take up a lot of room with the proper routing. Would be ideal if your not working with a lot of room.

But we'll need to see the inside specifications of which Silverstone HTPC you have to determine how much room you have and where you might have room to place a radiator and water block(s).

Attachments

• MCP355 Dimensions.gif
    MCP355 Dimensions.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Swiftech MCP355.gif
    Swiftech MCP355.gif
    46.4 KB · Views: 149
case is a silverstone LC10-M. there's no room for the rad inside for sure... rear is 2 80mm fans. I thought about mounting the rad at the back, but don't see much room even for a single 120 rad...

hwoever, after looking at 7/30's htpc, that really give me some idea of cut a big hole and mount the rad on the side.... but the problem is my case, the psu is located where your rad is, top right corner.... btw, what you use to cut the case and it seems like it has some sort of "glue" attaching the rad to the case?? :rolleyes:

If you have 2 80mm fan slots you could always mount one of those dual 80mm rads. That should be the equivelant to about a single 120mm, if not, better. Paired up with a few quiet fans and you would be set.

oh, nevermind, can't mount the rad on the side due to the fact that the case top opening is attach with the side panel!!

inkfx said:
If you have 2 80mm fan slots you could always mount one of those dual 80mm rads. That should be the equivelant to about a single 120mm, if not, better. Paired up with a few quiet fans and you would be set.
hmm... will look around to see if I can find any good dual 80mm rad.... :rolleyes: (any suggestion?)

also, what kinda block do you guys suggestion since it's a relatively small pump and will be using 3/8 tubing....

i'd prolly say use an apogee (low restriction, good perfomer, cheaper than storm, and comes with 3/8 barbs)

LandShark said:
btw, what you use to cut the case and it seems like it has some sort of "glue" attaching the rad to the case?? :rolleyes:

That appears to be a bead of black silicone he used for aesthetics and air sealing! FYI soldering painted and anodized surfaces is very hard if not impossible!

I'll kill you if you leave a a hideous radiator showing outside of a beautiful HTPC case

:p :p :p

If you can find a pretty enough enclosure, I'd definitely do it externally. Maybe you could get away with a smaller 80mm or 92mm rad?

LandShark said:
case is a silverstone LC10-M. there's no room for the rad inside for sure... rear is 2 80mm fans. I thought about mounting the rad at the back, but don't see much room even for a single 120 rad...

hwoever, after looking at 7/30's htpc, that really give me some idea of cut a big hole and mount the rad on the side.... but the problem is my case, the psu is located where your rad is, top right corner.... btw, what you use to cut the case and it seems like it has some sort of "glue" attaching the rad to the case?? :rolleyes:

I used a Dremel tool to cut the side of the case. The rad and fan are attached with screws. I used black silicon sealant around the edges (I could have and probably should have applied it a little better).

A single 120mm should be perfect for that case. Why can't you mount it to the side panel closest to the video card?

Last edited:
I was debating just get a prebuilt external "kit" like Zalman, Corsair, something like that.... but I want to give it a last thought/try to see if I can easily DIY instead.... I know pump and block and res. will be no problem, the only problem is mounting the rad....

btw, is a dual 80mm rad like those mini BlackIce roughly equal to the performance of a single 120mm rad??

I can't mount the rad on the side panel is b/c the side panel is attached to the top panel. when open the case, both panel will come off....

I guess the last and only option I have is to either mount a dual 80mm rad at the back (has 2 80mm exhaust fans), or IF it fits (clear all the wire and stuffs), get a 80mm->120mm adpator and mount a single 120.1.... what do you guys think??

right now, for the setup, I'm thinking... 355 pump, apogee block, 3/8" tube, either a bay res or a small res like Swiftech, and a block for the 7950GT.....

btw, what block recommended for the new 7950GT?? or I should just get the XFX's fanless version? (but would't it be heating up the inside temp? 'cos we all know HTPC's inside temp isn't anywhere near a good mid/full tower case....)

again, TKS for all the help and idea guys!!! :beer:

I think the dual 80mm radiator idea will work perfectly. It should give you identical cooling performance as a single 120mm rad.

I thought HTPC was suposed to be quiet so you could enjoy the movies, music etc etc.

Here you guys are adding fans and pumps which when all added up will make a fair bit of noize, prob the same amount of noize as a typical zalman HSF!

Why not think about just passive cooling like ninja series HSFs?

wun911 said:
I thought HTPC was suposed to be quiet so you could enjoy the movies, music etc etc.

Here you guys are adding fans and pumps which when all added up will make a fair bit of noize, prob the same amount of noize as a typical zalman HSF!

Why not think about just passive cooling like ninja series HSFs?
I honestly don't see HOW one could fit a Ninja in a typical HTPC case..??? :confused: :confused: I'm sure a lot of people would LOVE to know....

as for the noise, my main reason to go wc is b/c of the noise and heat. yes, a HTPC should be quiet, of course (and that's why I voted for a htpc section here 'cos it's a lot different than a regular gamer/overclocker's rig). and I've tried lots of thing (w/in a reasonable performance, of course. afterall, here's THE overclocker.com!!), 7700Cu, stealth 92mm intake fan, low noise (thus equal hot) dual 80mm exhaust fans (<21db), NVSilencer, to just cool my 520 (now back to stock due to heat and noise) & 6600gt. and it's still noisy.... well, as least as far as my GF concern.... so you see where I'm from?? (of course, I'm OK w/ it as I have a home folding farm in the basement, and my laptop fan is running full speed in my bedroom folding too. in fact, I feel uncomfortable/weird if I trun the laptop off at night and it's TOO quiet to sleep... :p )

I'm rebuilding my HTPC to a conroe + 7950gt + 750gb HDD for storage (7200.10) + another HDD for OS/app + HD tuner + dual analog tuner, etc. (from what it is now, 520, 6600gt, 2x300gb (diamondmax10) raid0, single analog tuner, etc.) and I know conroe is much cooler than prescott, but for any reasonable o/c (again, here is overclocker.com!), it still gets hot especially b/c of the poor case cooling is most HTPC case.

yes, you can use a mobile chip like mobile barton, yonah to get cooler temp and passive video card and such. but I don't think it's anywhere near a kissa$$ system to me (or anyone in here), I like it to be able to watch HD contents w/out any chopping, play the latest games on my 56" HDTV(trust me, you'll never wanna go back even to a 24" monitor! :drool: ) and stereo system while still getting the 5 channel surround sound w/ optical link using DDLive, and do upconverting/double the video resolution to HD quality via FFDShow/etc., all of these while I'm sitting on the couch. plus people in here likes to push to the limit and pushing a htpc to the limit while keeping it quiet is a good reason to me already! :cool:

w/c could be a very good alternate way to keep thing cool and quiet! I'm thinking if going for dual 80mm rad, just using the low speed exhaust fans to cool it, or if goign to 80mm->120mm adaptor for a single 120mm rad, use a low speed 120mm fan. the pump (355 I think) isn't a noisy pump (right guys?). I'm sure when it's done, it will be quieter and cooler than what I could get from aircooling but also at much higher speed.

trust me, I've been running/tweaking my htpc for almost 2yrs now. I know the important of it, quietness is pretty much the #1 concern!! (user/wife/GF friendly is being a #2 concern!)

The Zalman Resorator may be a better option for you. If you're going to build a Conroe rig, then watercooling may be unecessary. They don't exhaust as much heat, so a Zalman quiet CPU and GPU heatsink/fan may be best.

Conroe + 7950GT is quite beefy!

I’m sure it would be a great gaming / OC rig.

Seems like performance as your no 1 concern.....

Noize a CLOSE second of course..

ok, I'm gathering all the parts plus a new case ('cos the one I'm using only has a dual 60mm fans as the rear...). system should be up in a couple week. will post pics when done! ;)

thanks again for all the idea/help/info guys!! :beer:

Back