• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Receiver Randomly Shutting Off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

I have a Sherwood receiver, I think it takes up to 120w per channel. Whenever I turn up the volume just enough, the entire receiver shuts off. I have 160w Pioneer speakers (8 in) and I really doubt it's "Stressing" the reciever out. I've turned up this specific setup 2 or 3 x louder than it's current shutoff volume and it didn't give me problems in the past. Any ideas? :confused:

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I have a Sherwood receiver, I think it takes up to 120w per channel. Whenever I turn up the volume just enough, the entire receiver shuts off. I have 160w Pioneer speakers (8 in) and I really doubt it's "Stressing" the reciever out. I've turned up this specific setup 2 or 3 x louder than it's current shutoff volume and it didn't give me problems in the past. Any ideas? :confused:

Sounds like you've got a couple of blown capacitors. Open it up and see if there's any goo-like substance seeping from a capacitor.

Since its a sherwood (bottom of basket company) it most likely is not pumping out anything near 120w per channel, more like 70w or so. That and its the safety shut off on any receiever to do that when its over heating or detecting a n internal problem.

Might be a good time to pick up a ~cheap refurb onkyo at this point, or try having the receiver repaired. It's probably not really worth attempting to have it fixed though.

shard said:
Since its a sherwood (bottom of basket company) it most likely is not pumping out anything near 120w per channel, more like 70w or so. That and its the safety shut off on any receiever to do that when its over heating or detecting a n internal problem.

Meh, more like 35-45w, a solid 70 is expensive and a solid 120w is REALLY expensive, they ussually start around $1500-$2000. My Onkyo claims it does 75w but really does more like 55w at the most.

I think its pretty clear that the reciever isnt acting as it should though, we can rule out normal heat protection issues as you already stated that you used to run it much louder.

Back