• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer randomly shuts off...? Seems like mobo issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

Regarding the computer in my signature, it has worked without issue for months then as of a few days ago, the entire computer randomly shuts off and restarts. When this happens it normally gets stuck in a restart loop by which it will shut off and restart every few seconds at random times. I cut the computer down to the minimal: 1 stick of ram, 1 HDD, onboard video, all stock speeds and BIOS settings, and nothing else. I found that greatly reduced the frequency in which the computer restarts, but it does not eliminate the problem. So I bought a new PSU. The new PSU did not fix the problem either.

Now I am finding that the orientation and number of RAM sticks seems to have an effect. Sometimes I can get the computer to run fine if I am only using one stick of RAM, but when I put two in (single or dual channel), the computer cant even get past POST without restarting sometimes. So then I switch back to one stick of RAM and sometimes the problem still occurs, other times the computer will boot without problem. The orientation of the RAM and number of RAM sticks seems to affect the problem, but aside from that I cannot identify a pattern. I know it has nothing to do with settings or software because the crash has happened while I am in the BIOS, and I have reset all the BIOS settings to stock.

So, motherboard or RAM? I am guessing it's the mobo. Has anyone heard of this issue with the AsRock3 mobo in my signature?

I bought some Corsair Dominator RAM and swapped the old stuff out. It seems to run fine now with two sticks, although longer testing is required. I dont see how the RAM could cause the mobo to power cycle the PSU, so I suspect the comp is only running fine by chance. More to come later.

Nope, not the RAM. The comp seems more stable with the new RAM, but new RAM did not fix the issue. Junk mobo it looks like. No surprise considering the brand.

Back