• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Possible Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 R5 issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 5 systems with Gigabyte boards
GA880GA-UD3H (rev 2.1) Phenom II 1090T 6 core
GA990FXA-UD5 (rev 1.0) FX-8350
GA990FXA-UD5 (rev 3.0) X2 FX-8350
GA990FXA-UD5 R5 (rev 1.0) FX-8350
All 5 work fine, the 880 board is over 6 years old. But then I do take precautions against ESD damage to all parts of a PC when building my systems. (this is not to imply that you don't but I've seen others handle pc parts badly)

Last edited:
By BlueFalcon: It wasn't intended that way Blackheart.
I know man. One thing people will learn about me is that I'm a very facetious individual and I realize any type of sarcasm or humor doesn't translate well over forums <---words of wisdom from EarthDog lol.

Please don't think I'm coming down on you because that simply isn't the case. I can't help but sit back and laugh at situations like these. The alternative would be to get angry and that wouldn't accomplish a damn thing.

By WhiteHawkEQ: (this is not to imply that you don't but I've seen others handle pc parts badly)
As have I my friend. I have an all steel chassis and anytime I work on it I always grab a part of the frame to ground myself. I even take it as far as not to wear any type of cotton clothing when working on the system. I will change clothes and take off my socks before opening it up :rofl:

So I need another motherboard and while I try to resolve the Gigabyte situation I have been shopping around and have some options picked out.

[1] Open Box: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 $102 + $3 shipping on newegg.

[2] Open Box: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 for $108 + $3 ship on newegg.

[3] Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 for $119 + $15 economy shipping on ebay.

Please vote for the one you think would be the best bang for my buck given my current situation and the pricing. I guess I'm just wondering if the Extreme3 or the M5A99X would be suitable alternatives to the sabertooth.

Iv just seen to many complaints on Asus a no complaints of ASRock in this forum, just don't know about the open box.

Go with Asus for longevity I read the Newegg reviews.

Wait I'm confused lol. You've seen too many complaints on Asus and none of Asrock, but go with Asus for longevity? Did I miss something or have you been drinking? :p

Open boxes usually aren't an issue and a lot of times they are returned items people just didn't want. I've bought them before and it's cool.

Newegg reviews have to be taken to a grain of salt.

The saberkitty is tempting if it wasn't on fleabay... If you trust it go for it. The price difference is almost negligible. If you are somewhat apprehensive about buying strait used from ebay, the M5A99X might be the second best option. Won't be able to push the CPU much past 4.5ghz (from what a bunch of other people say), but gets you up and running in the mean time.

The M5A series are pretty tough... I beat up my poor M5A97 for about 3 years with a 955BE running 3.8-3.9ghz. Not too shabby for a lower tier board.

Well I have a few things I can sell myself to gather up some funds and if I can hit my mark I might just go for the saberkitty since it is a nice price. If I don't get what I need the Asus 970 Pro gaming aura is an alternative as is the M5A99X, it just sucks I have to come out of pocket for a different board now.

So far my priority seems to be:

[1] Sabertooth

[2] M5A99X or 970 Pro Aura, they seem to be tied for next best option.

Well I have a few things I can sell myself to gather up some funds and if I can hit my mark I might just go for the saberkitty since it is a nice price. If I don't get what I need the Asus 970 Pro gaming aura is an alternative as is the M5A99X, it just sucks I have to come out of pocket for a different board now.

So far my priority seems to be:

[1] Sabertooth

[2] M5A99X or 970 Pro Aura, they seem to be tied for next best option.

I would buy a new board then depending on results push Gigabyte's support for a refund due to failure to honor the warranty agreement. If they don't want to do that, then try and get a BNIB one from them. Atleast then you could sell the replacement, or use it for another system.

That is assuming the new board resolves any issues.

Wait I'm confused lol. You've seen too many complaints on Asus and none of Asrock, but go with Asus for longevity? Did I miss something or have you been drinking? :p

Open boxes usually aren't an issue and a lot of times they are returned items people just didn't want. I've bought them before and it's cool.

Newegg reviews have to be taken to a grain of salt.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I have seen just as many complaints for RMA service from Asus as with Gigabyte, ASRock seems like they don't have any complaints however on that board you have listed I have seen to many failures after a long time of use on Newegg reviews.

However it looks like your best choice is Asus if you don't have any problems.

Can we just shell out the green for the form z?
Formula Z - $175 open box and $219 new. Nope, don't have the funds for that.

Right now the best option is the used saberkitty on ebay which looks to be in pretty good shape. I probably could swing $135 (including shipping) once I sell some stuff. The saber is $180 new on newegg and that would be hard to manage especially if I can't get any compensation for the UD3.

Of course it wouldn't be an issue if I could get a refund or replacement for the defective board. I've stuck Google Trusted Stores on newegg (since my order is protected by Google), maybe that will produce some results.

Last edited:
I found a used Sabertooth for $117 (including shipping) on ebay, but the seller doesn't make any note as to the condition of the item. Looks too good to be true kind of thing.

@wingman: thanks for the input, higher end Asrock boards aren't bad. I've had a few and I was satisfied, but when it comes to quality for AMD platforms Asus is the way to go.

@BlueFalcon: you made some really good suggestions so I appreciate the feedback.

@Shrimpmaniac: that's the ticket right there and now it's time to get some funds together. Used without any signs of visible defects, but that doesn't mean it can't have problems. I'm going to need more information, but if it's all good then that's a steal not a deal!

Well after all the hassle Gigabyte has issued a 2nd RMA, but I'm not going through the trouble of sending it back to them again unless they authorize a replacement. I'm not opting for another repair.

Other than that I'm putting my together for a Formula-Z as shrimpy suggested. I'm going for new.

So what is happening with the PC right now is I had a power surge on a USB port and I'm still getting fluctuating link width on the PCI-e lane. The lane will vary between 2.0 x16 and 2.0 x8, at one point it dropped as low as 2.0 x1.

The good news is it doesn't simply cut off leaving the power button LED lit anymore.

There are long periods of time where it just won't boot, but if I let it sit for several hours then it will boot only to freeze up within 10 minutes of operation. No noise, just a silent total freeze.

This is the same motherboard cleared by Gigabyte with a new PSU and CPU. The GPU has been cleared by Asus and I'm using the latest catalyst drivers.

So, I'm thinking it has to be the motherboard and I'm prepared to go ahead to buy an Asus Formula-Z motherboard, but I just need a little assurance this is the right move before spending a lot of money.

I guess I'm worried it could be something I'm overlooking something simple like an incompatible driver, but the surge on the USB and the inconsistent link width on the PCI-e lane definitely indicates motherboard.

So, should I go ahead and buy a new board?

Back