• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My System is finally Complete

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
E6400 - I'm not even going to tell you how much I paid for it. Embarassing. But at least it clocks well.
DS3 - 149 euros PLUS... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the missing components that came with my old mb that I had to add on to the DS3 for the same functionality:

+10 euros - Firewire Card
+15 Euros - IDE to SATA converter for my IDE optical drive
+10 Euros - For a cheap soundcard with a game port so that I could run my midi devices because APPARENTLY either nobody uses midi anymore, or composers are supposed to go out and buy an X-Fi Xtreme Music. Those are the only options.

So the REAL price for the motherboard was 185 euros. About the same as a P5B deluxe Wi-fi. But I would've had to still get the SATA converter so figure 200 if I had gotten that. Would've freed up 2 PCI ports, but what else was I going to use those for anyway?

MadMan007 said:
Why did you need a SATA to IDE adaptor? Do you have more than 2 IDE devices?

Indeed I do. I never really UNDERSTOOD sata until now. So I have 2 IDE HDs and 1 IDE DVD writer (two actually, but one is all I can work with right now). It was hell on earth the first couple of months (which you'll see if you read my old posts.)

But now everything is peachy :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i don't really understand this thread, but what else is new, eh rainless?!! :beer:

X2.... LMAO

Maybe we can offer a congratulations, I guess?? Ok here goes:

Congrats Rainless!!! :beer:

Could you give a link to you midi divice(s) and are you positive they don't make a USB or similar to midi adaptor?
It honestly sounds like you had normal problems rebuilding a multi-media rig.

greenmaji said:
Could you give a link to you midi divice(s) and are you positive they don't make a USB or similar to midi adaptor?
It honestly sounds like you had normal problems rebuilding a multi-media rig.

A link? Hahahaha! Half these companies don't even exist anymore :) (I'm pretty sure Thrustmaster bit the dust years ago...)

They do make one USB to midi device that I saw in Sweden... nothing really like what I would've needed. I already bought a slightly expensive gameport to midi cable for my A7N8X-E Deluxe. That was less than a year ago. So I could've bought something even MORE expensive (around 65 euros) that either came with it's OWN midi cables or NO midi cables (but a standard jack meaning I would've had to get even MORE cables). I opted to get a cheap sound card instead.

But I've got keyboards, drum machines, an old joystick, you name it actually. Even a couple of devices where I'm not too sure what their function is. They all have one thing in common: They all predate USB 1.0

Sounds like e-bay is calling for its old stuff rainless.
I know Sailteck's gear is nice and reasonable for joysticks and cotrollers.

The sound equipment.. I would have figured if it was that old you would have a serial or parallel port option other then the midi.

the adaptors arnt cheap nor plentifull over here either.
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/m...tNo=747201&sourcecode=s10142&promocode=se0289

Then again, the new ones might be running midi from the looks of some of yamaha's gear :-/ (they are selling adaptors)

Just wondering, how does one get that deep into production on such a skant budget? Sell some work for greef sake :p

And if your doing a large percentage of work off this rig, is it not a work expence? I have no clue how the tax system works over there nor how you have your work set up legaly, but you might have options. (any chat about finance/accounting/business law can be taken to pm ;) )

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
Sounds like e-bay is calling for its old stuff rainless.
I know Sailteck's gear is nice and reasonable for joysticks and cotrollers.

The sound equipment.. I would have figured if it was that old you would have a serial or parallel port option other then the midi.

the adaptors arnt cheap nor plentifull over here either.
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/m...tNo=747201&sourcecode=s10142&promocode=se0289

Then again, the new ones might be running midi from the looks of some of yamaha's gear :-/ (they are selling adaptors)

Just wondering, how does one get that deep into production on such a skant budget? Sell some work for greef sake :p

And if your doing a large percentage of work off this rig, is it not a work expence? I have no clue how the tax system works over there nor how you have your work set up legaly, but you might have options. (any chat about finance/accounting/business law can be taken to pm ;) )

Yeah... all USB midi devices are ridiculously expensive. Don't know why. Midi is the cheapest damn interface on the planet. PS2 keyboards basically run on midi... THAT's how cheap the tech is...

Back