• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU vs CPU!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
it's time for the GPU vs CPU showtime!!

5 GPU vs 5 CPU

time frame: 2 weeks time from now, end Oct.25 11pm EST

rule: just let it run as it. a honest genltmen rule.

admission: you must turn a rig's username to either Christian_Bargmann or Gary_aka_Landshark for these 2 weeks in order to compensate our effort to bring you this show that everyone wants to know!! ;)

here's the stats:

Macaholic's 5 GPU clients ATI Special Op (5 X1900/1950)

Landshark's 10 CPU clients Intel army (5 E6600)

now which side you are betting on?? :cool:

Last edited:
Oh it's go time! On like Donkey Kong! The roof! The roof! The roof is on fire! Now I just kick back with the cruise control set and watch Sharky try to scramble to adjust his flags! Good luck pal! You'll need it! ;) :thup:

At stock 2D clocks Mac's only going to make 3300ppd. Gary has about 31.5 GHz of E6600 power that will make only 2200 ppd on a Gromac diet. However Gary could get over 3300ppd if one third of his assignments are ribos. This could go either way folks.

TFLOPS make no difference, it's all about the way WUs are benchmarked. Mac is going to make 660 ppd per GPU regardless of how many FLOPS he generates.

can't wait to see how this goes! shouldn't they make unique usernames just for the competition so everyone can watch and compare easily?

ChasR said:
Mac is going to make 660 ppd per GPU regardless of how many FLOPS he generates.

Yeah... too bad FLOPS != PPD. :D

I'm rooting for Mac since I'm an AMD guy. :thup:

On the first day, 6 of 11 WUs turned in by Gary were 600 pointers and one was a p1495. Mac won't be able to compete if that trend continues.

... and he is working to update that chart with the new 330 points. Should be even better, but of course, those numbers are from an X1950 with 3D speeds. Still gonna be close, IMO.

Ah but his memory is at the 2D default, bottlenecking his output. 5:39/frame on p2711 is easily acheivable with the x1950 with a bit of boost to the vpu core with 3D clocks on the memory.
Gary has the lead, having outproduced Mac by 18% so far. And by the looks of things I think he just might have a few 600 pointers to turn in (or else p21xx :()

Back