• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU vs CPU!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
davekusa said:
Has anyone seen numbers on folding a X1950PRO? The cards are around 200.
I searched the net but didn't find anything.

I was going to buy the 1900xtx but the 1900xt's seems to be producing about the same for 100 dollars less.

I'm getting +/- 8:00/frame on x1950 Pro

594 PPD or there abouts. 256 meg card, I think there is a 512 card out there someplace for just a few bucks more.

davekusa said:
so 550-600 ppd? on a x1950 pro 200.00 dollars 3 points per dollar

800-850 ppd on a x1900xt 350.00 dollars 2.5 points per dollar

is that pro a 256mb or 512 mb ram?
keep in mind that not many card can o/c to 800-850ppd w/ stock cooling even aftermarket aircooling! you'll most likely looking for 750-800ppd w/ stock cooling imho.

Speaking of GPUs. I'm wondering, with all the recently released articles, news, and information about the G80 GPU from Nvidia, how will it fold, if it's usable? Does it have the proper 32-bit stuff that F@H requires? And more interestingly, what will these 128 unified shaders mean for F@H, if the card is usable?

davekusa said:
I don't think nvidia is supported,yet. Maybe another 6 months down the road?

I know that Nvidia isn't currently supported, but this G80 that was just released is an entirely new GPU from them, designed from scratch if I read right. So I'm wondering if this G80 will be usable for F@H. Has there been any news on that? I don't know off hand. Many of the articles I've read today about the G80 have mentioned general purpose GPU computing and to that end, some have mentioned F@H. So, curious. :)

Though yes, I would assume there'd be a time issue involved. Considering the current ATI architecture (used for F@H) and the new Nvidia architecture (G80) are very different, I would guess they'd have to write another GPU client.

Sorin said:
I know that Nvidia isn't currently supported, but this G80 that was just released is an entirely new GPU from them, designed from scratch if I read right. So I'm wondering if this G80 will be usable for F@H. Has there been any news on that? I don't know off hand. Many of the articles I've read today about the G80 have mentioned general purpose GPU computing and to that end, some have mentioned F@H. So, curious. :)

Though yes, I would assume there'd be a time issue involved. Considering the current ATI architecture (used for F@H) and the new Nvidia architecture (G80) are very different, I would guess they'd have to write another GPU client.

Here is a thread on the G80 http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic16676.html

My thought is that Standford seems to be able to handle one thing at a time and right now it looks like SMP folding. After the G80 comes out they'll take a look at it. If its not too much work they might get there own GPU core. (Just me reading between the lines)

davekusa said:
anyone seen results for x1650?

do a search over at fac gpu section ... you will probably find some. I recall reading at least 1 post from somebody with one.

Back