• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Raid question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCnewbee

Ok so on a raid 0+1 setup if one drive fails can i hot swap it? or is that done on a raid 1+0? I have 4 sata seagate 320 gig drives i want to run them in a raid setup up but i want it so that if one drive happens to fail the others do not. what would be the best setup for 4 drives. all the drives are the exact same.

and how exactly would i set up the drives for the raid on a Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, would i do it through the bios. any links would be great. or just tell me straight out. thanks in advance.

I can't immediately give you an unqualified answer the 2nd part of your question, but for the first... no... the drives will not be 'hot-swappable'. If you are running along and any one of the 4 drives fail, you have the ability to simply power off and replace that drive, and when you power up, the drive will be restored to it's former glory (well to the glory of the drive you replaced actually, but you get the idea)

Re the 2nd part... off the top of my head, it should be pretty straightforward, and yes, thru the BIOS. Before you begin, make sure you have created the necessary floppy disk driver, so when you are booting from your windows xp cd, and start tapping F6 (to install the driver required so the windows install can find the drive) you have something to feed it.

Once you get the drives set up in a RAID0+1 array in the bios, it should be plain sailing. You may or may not have to tell the Bios which hard drive to boot from, but I actually suspect not, because all it should see, is the single large (Raid0) drive.

If you have any bothers... repost the issue, and help will come to you.

B

Back