• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlimited budget, best STOCK performance full setup top to bottom.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

I am looking into a high end build for a friend who really has no budget limitations, but wants to see a high, mid and low range setup. I have some ideas as to where to go, but need help in the mobo/ram compatibility areas as I have little previous exp. with intel.

What I am looking at for the high end is:
Case: Perhaps coolermaster Mystique or NZXT LEXA-NP
x6800 $950.00
mobo to be determined
mem to be determined
CORSAIR HX620w PSU $180.00
2X WD 150 Raptors in raid 0 $400.00
4x Seagate Barracuda ST3400620AS 400Gig Hard Drives $640.00
X-fi plat $130.00 or so
X1950xtx ATI $450.00
DL RW dvd and combo drive $60.00

Perhaps looking into a physics card as well, or possibly a crossfire board.

This will most likely be stock, but I may throw in some decent cooling in case he wants to get brave and fiddle.

Please let me know where I am going wrong, right, and where to go on TBD items.
Thanks!

If your going to be running stock there isnt any need for fancy ram.

The base of your system would be a easy to work with 975X chipset motherboard, the best FSB performer (such as the abit aw9d-max) has very little space for the sound card and you really dont need extra FSB.

I would make sure at least 4 of the SATA ports were capable of running though the ICH7R for matrix raid and get four 150Gig raptors and put them in matrix raid. 60-80GB for the OS and raid5 or raid1 the rest.

Extra storage? file server or NAS.

Well, if he can "keep his panties on :D " and wait a month or so, you can get him Quad CPU for the same price as x6800....
Now that will be the ultimate.:clap: ...or get him the x6800 now and when the Quads come out, you can get him one of those, and buy his x6800 for half the price or lower...:eek:
Just a thought.

Mike

Is quad core going to be supported on the same motherboards?

greenmaji, He wants everything in one box, file storage and performance, so I would be looking at a raid 1 system for his storage to back up his data. Do you think 4 150's are neccessary for OS and games? I was thinking 2 would do it. I know he said no limit, but talking him into friviolous spending on unneccesary stuff might be tough.

yo4444 said:
I know he said no limit, but talking him into friviolous spending on unneccesary stuff might be tough.

i think the x6800 would be frivilous and unneccesary. just get a e6600, set it to 333fsb on stock volts and stock cooler, and call it a day. that would save him $600, give him the same clocks as a x6800, and that oc is VERY mild.

Is that a somewhat guaranteed clock for a 6600? I would probably be giving him some decent cooling to begin with anyway, and if those clocks are say, 90% guaranteed, I think it might be a great option for him.

I assume the clocks are the only difference between the 6600 and 6800 then?

yo4444 said:
Is quad core going to be supported on the same motherboards?

greenmaji, He wants everything in one box, file storage and performance, so I would be looking at a raid 1 system for his storage to back up his data. Do you think 4 150's are neccessary for OS and games? I was thinking 2 would do it. I know he said no limit, but talking him into friviolous spending on unneccesary stuff might be tough.

The more drives in a performance raid array scales up.
In other words its not just the capasity that increases it is the performance that increases with the added drives.

More preformance then an EE or now X processor would give a system.

BTW.. A somewhat guaranteed overclock on a E6600 is more like 3.4Ghz.

yo4444 said:
Is that a somewhat guaranteed clock for a 6600? I would probably be giving him some decent cooling to begin with anyway, and if those clocks are say, 90% guaranteed, I think it might be a great option for him.

I assume the clocks are the only difference between the 6600 and 6800 then?

as green said, 3.4ghz would be a pretty simple OC, but i understand you and him want to take it easy for now.

the x6800 has a multi of 11 with a 266fsb. the e6600 has a multi of 9, so setting 333fsb would put it at the same level, but have a faster fsb.

if you are starting with an aftermarket cooler anyways, i would say, start him off at 333fsb, and if he gets curious down the road, or wants a bit more speed, he can crank it up to around 400fsb eventually. that would give him 3.6ghz and is a reasonable goal with a decent cooler.

Green, didnt you say you can Matrix with just 2 drives? If so he might as well just buy 2 750GB HDD's instead.

Yo, since your building this monster yourself why not build it with the cheaper cpu and o/c it then just keep yourself as the Admin on it once your done so your friend cant change anything major. I've had too many "friends" I built one for screw it up because they thought they knew what they were doing. Then calling me wondering what I did to it after they jacked it up bad.

I would use a full tower case with very good airflow in and out because everything you listed will need alot of fresh air. I shop at www.xoxide.com for cases as they have a large selection.

yo4444 said:
Is that a somewhat guaranteed clock for a 6600? ...

In the world of O/C-ing, where nothing is guaranteed, I would take out a second mortgage on my house if it dependet on 6600 reaching x6800 speeds...(fine print > on Intel chipset that is) Is that guaraneed enough for you...:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Mike

@BigDan3131.. the title of the thread says best stock performance. And the 16MB raptors defeat everything else in single user performance by quite a large margin, and the more hardrives you use in a raid0 array again you extract more performance.
You could go with 74GB 16MB cache buffer raptors instead but I would still suggest four of them. If you still want storage in the same machine I would get a cheap SATA controller and 320GB segate perpendicular drives 4 of those should be more then enough for storage.

That seems logical.. 4 74 gigs instead of 2 150's. I believe the 400's are Perp as well, are they not?

Features: Perpendicular Recording Adaptive Fly Height Clean Sweep Directed Offline Scan Seagate SoftSonic Enhanced G-Force

Ahhh. but the 320's are $95, vs the 400's at $160.00.. good find

Check out segates site, there are alot of perps that arn't marked as such on reseller websites, even some 8MB cache buffer modles.
Just search for the modle number when shopping :)

unlimited budget in a stock rig??

choice of case
Q6800 quad core
your choice of top end mobo
2x2gb ram
2x150 raptor (OS and Apps)
2x750 7200.10 (file storage)
quad SLi
1k psu
30" dell
heck, even throw in w/c for quietness too!

well, honestly, if it's for some guy who has unlimited budget, and look for top stock performance, just tell him go buy it from dell, alienware, falcon, voodoopc, and save the headache then!!

May save headache, but he's paying me to build it, so Alienware can go screw.

How soon is quadcore going to be on the retail market, realistically?

yo4444 said:
May save headache, but he's paying me to build it, so Alienware can go screw.

How soon is quadcore going to be on the retail market, realistically?
Q4-06, thats all we know atm. any mobo with 6phase pwm for cpu will be more the enough for c2q's.

for case.. DEFINETLY a Lian Li V2000b plus 2.... the 270ish you will spend on it is WELL worth it..... i love mine it has soooooooooooooo much room

as for hds... go all out... 4 x raptor 150s.... do a 40gb raid 0 matrix raid partition for OS and Apps then its your choice on the rest.... raid 0, raid 5 what ever with the rest of the sapce.... that would be a SCREAMING setup.

than what every one else has said...

heres my setup in my lian li v2000b plus 2

this is a pic of the bottom to 4 of the 7 5.25 bays.
P9050131.JPG

Just the upper partition
P9050118.JPG

I like, and many, many, many, people like the CoolerMaster Stacker 2. Its also much better system for watercooling.

Though I would buy a case built with a phasechange on the bottom of it. Since budget isnt an issue, this would be the best choice.

GreenJelly said:
I like, and many, many, many, people like the CoolerMaster Stacker 2. Its also much better system for watercooling.

Though I would buy a case built with a phasechange on the bottom of it. Since budget isnt an issue, this would be the best choice.

The above mentioned case is the most common for built in phase change. That or a mountain mods UFO.

And your going to have to look into the TIME it would take to get phase in the case, It takes most builders quite some time to get the work done, there backlogged.

And if you go that route you will likely want to look into water cooling for the GFX(s), top mounted rad would most likey be the easiest to implement in that case.

Back