• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cable modem dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YOO

well i dont if it is but the modem is about 5 years old and is a motorola surfboard. for the past week my connection has been quite sh***y. i ping 30 in a bf2 server and i lag like crazy and while im doin it the ping is steady at 30.
the same happens in any other server and i rarely ping over 80. on the web sometimes it takes one minute just to load google 0o. feels like the connection comes and goes when it wants to. if it was my connection then i would be pinging about 300+ on server wich im not and i still lag. is to modem goin bad?
i loose connection to xfire even for no reason. anyways let me know what ideas u ppl have because to me is the modem but then again im a noob :p

ALSO seems that my upload is not even working now and it was before 0o.

Last edited:
try renewing your ip and cleaning all the crap up on your pc ??

what model is your surfboard ?? i loved my surfboard when i had it.. ran fast. but it wasnt 5 years old either :D

is the SB5100 wich it stands vertical wich i like :D . i tried renewin my ip address but sometimes it takes for ever for the online light to stop flashing. i ran spyware and ad awere and i have no spyware.

wow look at this
Tracing route to www.l.google.com [72.14.203.104]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 36 ms 12 ms * 12.125.72.101
4 29 ms * * tbr2-p032701.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.2.213]
5 28 ms * * tbr2-cl7.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.10.45]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * 28 ms 27 ms att-gw.chi.qwest.net [192.205.32.98]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * 29 ms chx-edge-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.139.166]
10 29 ms 34 ms * 63.144.64.134
11 37 ms 29 ms 29 ms 66.249.95.253
12 30 ms * * 72.14.238.89
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * 29 ms 30 ms 72.14.203.104

and this was just a trace to google 0o. took me about 5 minutes to post this and im on 3mb cable. went to network connections and took a look at the connection status while trying to surf the net and the 2 small monitors u see on there they were not even light up anyway hope this helps but i think im gonna end up buyin a new modem and see what happens :). sorry if im bein a pain.

Actually, this isn't a bad question at all! I would absolutely love to hear what comes of this because the last few weeks I've been having a problem with my Internet connection as well. (Comcast on the Surfboard 5120). It seems like sometimes a page will load like BAM and be done, but other times it takes FOREVER to load the exact same page, and then about half of the images will be broken.

On top of just being crappy from day-to-day use, I've also found that at completely random times (sometimes a few hours, and sometimes a few days in between) I will completely lose all Internet connectivity and have to do a hard-reset to the cable modem before I regain network status. At first I thought it was my router, but it doesn't matter which router I use or if I plug directly into the modem. Same problem.

And no, it's also not spyware, viruses, or anything else. And yes, the problem occurs on all computers on the network at the exact same time.

i wouldnt buy a new modem just yet :D

did you change your mac addy on your nic card ??

did you unplug the modem power and wait a couple minutes ??

you can also try to do a repair of your connection too ?

reason i say dont get a new modem yet.. when you get one it will register different modem addy and assign a new ip .. which in return may clear up issues..

id try a few more things first before buying new one.. unless you have fat pockets :D

I'd call your provider and have them check to make sure that your modem is in spec on the cable line itself. They need to make sure that your signal to noise ratio is still within spec. Also your power level may be too high, or two low. If it's too low they will have to boost the signal from outside on the pole, if it's too high, they'll put line attenuators in to lower the level. Good luck :).

- Jim

Back