• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next phase of the this build. Suggestions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokitexas

So I have ordered 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999148 to move my HD's from the rack into DVD/IDE area.

This leaves me with the HD cage space open on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133016 .

Would mounting the Rad there work? Its a single 120 Rad. Would it be bad to have the hot air from the rad blow into the case? My 7950's are passive cooled and that is why I am concerned.

Really looking for some suggestions on how to utilize this space. I will post a pic later for better visuals as soon as I can get them sized right.

No it would not be bad to blow "hot" air from the rad into your case. In fact in most cases the air temp is only raised a degree or two passing through the rad so it is not really hot. BTW this is always a better solution than blowing case air through a rad and out of the case...

Bling = 10
Benifit = 2

I really dont know why these systems are used. I havent seen any statistics that state running these drives in super cool containers somehow extend their lives. Not that there isnt any, I would be more then happy if someone could point out some:)

Its expensive and it takes up allot of Drive space. I dont think it will help too much with noise, and I feel there are better, more practicle solutions. Then again, If it makes you feel good, then woopie:)

Why dont you build a watercooling system and then run water around all of your HD's. Put it on a dedicated circuit. with its own Radiator and fans...

hehe:)

Ok, I THINK this link will work. This is a picture of the PC. Moving the rad to where the drive cage is I think would work ok.

I guess I can use the front intake fan and also the fan on the rad? Like a sandwich. Would that work ok, or just be pointless?

sizepd4.jpg

Smitty1258 said:
^ what heatsinks are those on your GPUS? Will they work for 2 7800gt's?
this and yes they do work for your setup.

@lokitexas
I guess I can use the front intake fan and also the fan on the rad? Like a sandwich. Would that work ok, or just be pointless?

Umm, it would work, but you probably wouldn't see much of a difference temp wise. It would pull air through the rad. faster bringing more air in, but you still have to get rid of the hot air from inside your setup. Btw, nice clean setup :)

wowza said:
this and yes they do work for your setup.

@lokitexas

Umm, it would work, but you probably wouldn't see much of a difference temp wise. It would pull air through the rad. faster bringing more air in, but you still have to get rid of the hot air from inside your setup. Btw, nice clean setup :)

Thanks, still have some work to do. This is my first build, so I am taking my time.

So maybe putting a 120 fan on the back...where the rad is now will help?

First build? Heck of a lot better than my first build!

Yes, It would help to put the 120 fan on the back because you have those intake fans, and the rad which is throwing hot air everywhere, it would be a good idea to get it out. You want a balance of intake and exaust fans, usually exaust side heavy. This will allow for good airflow to cool your gfx cards, chipset and ram.

wowza said:
First build? Heck of a lot better than my first build!

Yes, It would help to put the 120 fan on the back because you have those intake fans, and the rad which is throwing hot air everywhere, it would be a good idea to get it out. You want a balance of intake and exaust fans, usually exaust side heavy. This will allow for good airflow to cool your gfx cards, chipset and ram.

Hmmm...I do have a 92mm fan opening on the side window. So intake? Exaust?

120mm Fan on PSU = Exaust
120mm Fan opeing FRONT = Intake
120mm Fan on rad in FRONT = Intake
120mm Fan on REAR = Exaust
92mm Fan on SIDE = ???

Im still trying to figure out where to put an extra radiator:( I need my case to be mobile, so everything is inside my case except my resivor. I have no room on the back. The sides open up, and the top has a huge radiator that takes every inch of space.

I was thinking of putting up a wall somewhere on the inside of the case... but its difficult to figure out where...

Blah... I want more cooling:)

Back