• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to buy a 19" Widescreen, but have questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hey guys,

I am totally new to this section of the forums. Let me just ask my question and we'll go from there.

I have a cheapy 17" LCD that I am ready to upgrade to a 19" widescreen. The resolution of my 17" is 1280x1024, but you probably already knew that. The 19" LCD is 1440x900. My question is, what will this do to games? I know that when I run my 17" at less than it's native resolution, the image quality becomes extremely poor. You basically have to run it at max resolution. Well, no games I have offer 1440x900 for a resolution, so what will I need to run my games at. Will they look horrible? Thanks very much.

-Collin-

Most games will list the new higher resolutions when you setup the LCD because your vcard drivers will enable them. Although, some games do not support widescreen.

As for the 19", I would personally stay away because the jump from 17 > 19 will not be significant enough.

Which 19" are you looking at ? Dell has a 20.1 out now that is cheaper than 2007 and has faster response time. Check it out in cyber deals here - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=483544

Most likely gonna be the same price as your 19", but bigger :D

i agree, 19" wide screen is going to be disappointing. I went from a 19" crt running 1600x1200 to a 20" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 205bw running 1680x1050. I'm a little disappointed with the size, but the monitor is nice, and WoW runs just as good.

WaTTz said:
Most games will list the new higher resolutions when you setup the LCD because your vcard drivers will enable them. Although, some games do not support widescreen.

As for the 19", I would personally stay away because the jump from 17 > 19 will not be significant enough.

Which 19" are you looking at ? Dell has a 20.1 out now that is cheaper than 2007 and has faster response time. Check it out in cyber deals here - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=483544

Most likely gonna be the same price as your 19", but bigger :D

That's a good deal there. The one I was looking at is $229, but I may spend the extra money to get a 20". I didn't know games supported widescreen...guess you have to have a widescreen monitor to know that :)

-Collin-

if money wasn't the issue, i would've gone for a 24". the dell 24" ws has gotten great reviews by people all over the board

Vengance_01 said:
Costco has the 22" Viewsonic on sale for 299$. IMO you can't beat that even though its a TN panel.

I may have to pull the trigger on that one. I live 10 minutes from Costco!

-Collin-

Back