• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-using old waterblocks: MAZE4 on S775 and gf 4x00 cooler on 7900GTO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azirath

In upgrading from my Socket A based system to a conroe socket 775 based system, i was hoping i might keep my old waterblocks.

My CPU waterblock is a MAZE4 for Socket A, pictured here:
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=32&cat=59&page=1

I was just wondering if anyone have any ideas on how to mount this on a S775 based mobo? I know the mounting holes wont fit, but im willing to get creative. I was thinking that it might be possible to use strips to mount it.

Alternatively, i was thinking that it might be easy to create a crossbar that would fit the S775 mounting holes?

Basically im asking for any kind of experience or ideas for the task ;)

I also have a GPU cooler for the Geforce 4600 which im planning on somehow sticking to my new 7900GTO, any observations on differences in mounting holes and possible solutions would be much appreciated.

using plexiglass or wood would be an excellent solution. just make a square piece for the top with 4 holes for the Socket 775 and then tape or glue it somehow onto the plexi glass the block onto the plexi glass. and then put another peice on the back for support.

Thanks for the feedback. However, i dont think i understand what you mean :confused:

Are you suggesting that i replace the current plexiglass top?

You lost me here:

and then tape or glue it somehow onto the plexi glass the block onto the plexi glass

Confused me too a bit...I think he means to just make a square of 1/4" plexi or wood with the 4 mounting holes plus two holes for your waterblock's fittings to poke through.
Then just bolt it down to the motherboard, sandwiching your present waterblock against the cpu.

That's about what I did to mount my old Gemini spiral (socket A, 4 bolt) onto my Lanparty (A64, 2 bolt) mobo. Works just fine, and doesn't risk leaking or falling off at all.

Like this.

bracketuf0.jpg

Thank you for the clarification (and the nice illustration), its sort of what i meant by making a crossbar, except its not a bar, but a square ;)

However, are the Socket 775 mounting holes really wider apart than the Socket A mounting holes? The waterblock matches the 4 holes that used to be on some Socket A motherboards.

Back