• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 on X1900 RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chubbyfatazn

Registered
Would this have an effect somehow? I put some on a few mo nths ago without thinking, and now that I'm thinking of it, will the RAM possibly be affected? Thanks.

It may be conductive, (think it is, not sure). Other than that, it shouldn't affect much except temp flow to heatsink I would think.

I remembered reading something about AS5 being slightly conductive, but not by much.

Was wondering because graphics card was glitching up my whole system.. to the point of a rebuild. But that was because of stupid 6.9 drivers.. buggy beyond hell.

It's capacitive, meaning only a small current can be carried by the AS5. But it's large enough to damage sensitive equipment (Like video cards).
As long as you're careful and only apply the AS5 to the RAM dies and don't spill any around it onto the PCB, you'll be fine.
I put AS5 on my video card's GPU and RAM, have had no problems.

Not to be nit-picky IWasHungry (especially since you got the capacitive thing right :)), but while capacitive substances will indeed pass a current, it shouldn't be enough to kill a card. Where capacitance will bite you in the butt though is how it alters an AC signal (like any kind of signal found in a PC). A change in capacitance will alter the waveform sent to the chip, possibly corrupting it to the point that a component will not work with the AS5 on/near the traces. Cleaning off all the AS5 should solve the problem, but given that the job of AS5 is to get everywhere, that can be an extremely difficult task to accomplish.

Again, not to nit-pick, but figured I could help make your statement more correct :)

JigPu

Back