• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to switch from GUI to CLI version

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I am wanting to get rid of the GUI version of FAH on both of my rigs. The reason is that on my main rig, AXP3000+ Barton, 1.25 GB PC2700, FX5200 128MB, Asus A7V400-MX, occasionally I get blackouts on my video. I have read in a few places that this can be caused by OpenGL being used by the GUI version, as it does happen quite frequently while I am trying to play a game, or even sometimes watching video's. I have also noticed a rare and random video driver crash every now and then. I think the most frequently I have noticed that would be about once every 4 months, although I haven't seen it for quite a while now. The other system is rock stable as it stands, but I have also heard that the CLI version is a little bit more efficient. Can I just make a back up of my Work folders, queue.dat's and my client.cfg's and just replace them, or will I have problems going that route? I want to make this as painless as possible. Will the client.cfg file from the GUI work with the CLI? Also since the other system is a PIII would I be better off setting it up with advmethods? I have noticed that I have been getting a lot of 153 point Ambers on that system that seem to take forever (4-5 days). Thanks for any help anybody might have.

just stop the gui version, copy the WORK dir and queue.dat file from the gui directory to a backup directory.

Then you can uninstall the gui client.

Install the client of your choice ... ie wedo 1-click for service install or using the 5.02 or 5.04 console do a manual service install or manual desktop install.
The installs have guides in the welcome sticky. With wedo's you will get a FAH1 directory in program files.

Before you start whichever client you decide to use, copy the same WORK folder and queue.dat from your backup directory into the new folding directory and it will pick up where it left off. To be sure it starts back where it was, copy the core it was using as well ... you can check the fahlog.txt in the gui directory to see which core it was loading, or just copy all the core-xx.exe's in the gui directory to the new directory.

Will I be ok backing up client.cfg as well, or will it not work with one of the CLI versions? I will most likely do the 1 click install, as I have heard a lot of good things.

EDIT: I know that I will have to reconfigure EMIII. Which file would I point it to in this case? Also am I the only one that has heard of this kind of problem with the GUI version?

If you use the 1 click install, just update the client.cfx 1click supplies with your name. Do it carefully with notetab or notepad, not wordpad! ...it is a linux format file. If you use notepad, don't delete any of the box characters ... they are linefeeds. Notetab ( a free editor) handles the formatting with no chance of user error.

you can set local=0 (or whatever value you want) so your wu count in the log will be incremented from there as you turn in wus.

If you really want to use your current client.cfg, read the stanford faq on the gui ... i think it has a uservalue you need to delete. It has been a while but i think this is the value the console stores in the registry under pande to uniquiely identy your machine. ... it is combined with machineid to get a unique id for each instance on a rig.

FYI, setting up a new instance on an existing rig will increase your cpu count on your stanford stats ... not a problem , just fyi

EMIII just points to the console.exe file in the folding directory you create ... normally FAH1 for 1 click i think.

Back