• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is normal variance in PPD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Farwalker2u

I have noticed over the last few days that the PPD from my 4090 is around 20 million consistently (running 18213). The previous week it had been 25 million consistently (running 18213). That 5 million PPD is a 25% difference.

Is this normal?

Would a Nvidia driver make this kind of difference? I updated my driver on March 1 (late in the day) from 528.49 to Driver Version 531.18. Looking at my User Summary the PPD peaked on March 1.

Yes, drivers can make a difference in PPD. If you are folding the same WU (ie 18213), there shouldn't be much variance at all. That said, there can be a pretty significant difference between WUs. Some can gain much higher PPD than others.

I installed Nvidia graphics driver version 528.49, and now my PPD is back at about 25 million PPD on my 4090.
I noticed that one difference was GPU utilization was from 74% - 84% with the 531.18 driver, and is 79% - 92% with the 528.49 driver.

So if your priority is PPD over up-scaling streaming content . . . .

Yeah this is more pointed than usual because the last few drivers have been hit or miss, performance wise but there will always be variance in PPD just based on luck of the draw on which WUs you get assigned, more than anything.

I installed Nvidia graphics driver version 528.49, and now my PPD is back at about 25 million PPD on my 4090.
I noticed that one difference was GPU utilization was from 74% - 84% with the 531.18 driver, and is 79% - 92% with the 528.49 driver.

So if your priority is PPD over up-scaling streaming content . . . .

I checked mine due to being on 531.18 and utilization was at 90+%. Downgraded to 528.49 and 528.24 to check for differences and there were none for me. Utilization and estimated PPD were the same with all three.

I checked mine due to being on 531.18 and utilization was at 90+%. Downgraded to 528.49 and 528.24 to check for differences and there were none for me. Utilization and estimated PPD were the same with all three.
Thanks for the input.
Which GPUs do you fold with? Are you using Windows 11?
Is your user name FoldingAddict?
The only variable is the driver for me.

So what is wrong with my set up?
I'm running Windows 11 version22H2 cumulative update (KB5022845). CPU is a 12700K, 32GB of RAM, GPU is a MSI Gaming Trio 4090.
Using Nvidia 531.18 driver I get lower GPU utilization and around 20 million PPD, with the 528.49 driver I get around 25 million PPD.

As this is "fresh" in my mind . . .
Three parameters to check to maximize Folding:
1) get a a Passkey and enter it. My PPD increase over five times (from 1.5 million PPD to 8 million PPD)
2) disable your CPU in the FAHControl - Folding@home Client Advanced Control. Right click the CPU Folding slot and select "pause".
3) Check your GPU drivers to see whether one is more productive than another.

Last edited:
How is that possible, considering over the course of even one EOCF update (4 hours) you're getting different WUs?

I mean, drivers do make a difference, but, how are you getting the same WUs?

How is that possible, considering over the course of even one EOCF update (4 hours) you're getting different WUs?

I mean, drivers do make a difference, but, how are you getting the same WUs?
I have had only 18213 WUs for the last five days (at least when I checked. I may have missed some different WUs). As an old fart with nothing to do, I tend to check my WUs and PPD every few hours or so (other than when I sleep). I don't know why or how, luck of the draw?
Like the legenday or storied characters that makes 15 passes of seven on a dice game!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.
Which GPUs do you fold with? Are you using Windows 11?
Is your user name FoldingAddict?

This test was run on an RTX 3090, 4790k, 16GB DDR4 3200, Windows 10 fully updated. I didn't test other rig as it was already on the old driver and didn't want to mess with it.

Back