• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Distro for 64-bit Intel hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I would like to install a 64 bit Linux distro on a 64-bit Intel rig. Which distros are compatable, and also available for free download?

ihrsetrder ! :beer:

Post your system chipset and specs, if you have very new hardware, you will probably need a newer kernel, (though most will come with a 2.6.x, some will not!) and some distros are easier to deal with than others for beginners. Someone will be able to suggest a good distro based on your specs I am sure.

Misfit138 said:
ihrsetrder ! :beer:

Post your system chipset and specs, if you have very new hardware, you will probably need a newer kernel, (though most will come with a 2.6.x, some will not!) and some distros are easier to deal with than others for beginners. Someone will be able to suggest a good distro based on your specs I am sure.

Yes, excellent idea Misfit as I am a bit uncertain about the versions available.:)

Listed below are the machines I have available to install a 64 bit Linux distro on:
Plan A:
Asus A8N5X
AMD64 x2 3800+

1gb pc3200
pci graphics card(cheapie)
Note: Tried to install Ubuntu 6.10 and Kubuntu 6.10...install failed :confused:

Plan B:

Asus P5LD2
Intel 820D

2gb DDR667
pci graphics card(cheapie)

This Intel rig is the one I really had in mind, in starting this thread. I had been unsure of whether this hardware is IA64 or EM64T, but from Gnufsh's post it appears that this machine would be considered an EM64T, correct?

I had wanted to avoid setting up Linux on my K8N-DL/dual Opty265 dual-core rig, since it doesn't OC well in BIOS, making it necessary to use nTune or ClockGen, which requires a Windows install. However, in re-reading the SMP folding FAQ, it appears that the client runs better on a 4 core machine, and that perhaps setting up for 2 core SMP folding may not run or have problems. For that reason, my K8N-DL/dual Opty265 dual-core machine becomes...Plan C.

As always, any and all help/suggestions would be most appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Well, a little more googling finally paid off, it looks like SUSE 10.1 (x86-64) will do just fine for all of my 64 bit machines. The remastered version includes libzypp, which facilitates initial setup, as well as installation of rpm's.

i've got two installs of gentoo x86-64 running right now. it is very stable.

I downloaded the first ISO via http...S L O W. Used a generic bit torrent client and, WOW! downloaded all 5 ISO's in a couple hours! :thup:

Things have improved since the last time I used bit torrent. of course, it's likely that alot of people are downloading SUSE, and leaving their seed active.

i usually dont recommend fedora that often, but my Fedora 5 x86-64 server is running very well (AMD cpu).

Back